1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have a pack of coasters now?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Qupid, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Qupid

Qupid Guest

I ordered a 50 pack of HP+R DVD to back-up my collection. I am using DVD Decrypter for the whole process but when I burn one, I get to about 10%-20% and I get a I/O failure error(foolish of me I forgot to write down the exact message). My Magic I/O 8X DVD burner locks up and will not open until I restart Windows XP. I have had 1 successful burn with the 1 blank DVD that came with the DVD burner but since I got these HP dvd's I have had 4 failures and gave up. I burned at 2.4X (twice), 2.0X, 1.0X then gave up just in case I could return them.

I am smarter now, I going to order Riteks but before I do, am I doing something wrong with the HPs?

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi Qupid, It could be just a problem with the HP media. Download a tool called dvdinfopro. It will tell you who actually made the HP blanks. Then get back to us with the manufacturer. We can tell better from that if they are poor quality media or not. Here's the link for the tool.
    http://www.dvdinfopro.com.
    You can't go wrong with Ritek grade A media. Thats all I use now.
    Jerry

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  3. lawndog

lawndog Regular member

I ran into the same type of problem!! First make sure you didn't buy the cheap DVD blanks!! Then right before you go to burn with decrypter, set speed to 4X!! I also have a 8X burner but reduced to 4x Discs and it worked fine for me!! Also make sure you are using DVD Shrink first I assume that you are though!! Also I always make sure I click on the verify after burn box, just to be safe!! I think the best thing I did though was drop the speed to 4x though!! Let us know what happens!!
    Good Luck,
    Lawndog
    P.S. When I went to my supplier I couldn't find Ritex, or Virbittion(both spelled wrong I'm sure) discs!! But I bought Fugi HIGH dollar discs!! Ya I know thay cost more but Thay work!!

4. Qupid

Qupid Guest

I'm not going to say that these HP+R are trash because they may work for others but they seem to fail on my I/O Magic 8X DVD burner(4 attempts, 4 coasters). I have had success with Fuji DVD-R and am still waiting for my Riteks to come in.

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturer on those HP+R discs is CMC MAG Corp. Their media never seems to work.

Jerry