1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have to convert this to make it work?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by pio4030, Apr 8, 2005.

1. pio4030

pio4030 Regular member

I have a family video recorded from a video camcorder onto those little tapes, not digital. From those little tapes, i used my vhs/dvd combo recorder to burn onto a dvd disc. The recorder made it into the regular separate .ifo, ibu formats. I want to use Adobe Premier Pro to make effects to it, but it does not accept those extensions. Do I have to convert the vidoe to avi or mpeg or something? I think I do because those are the extensions, the program accepts. How do I convert the DVD into another format? What programs would I have to get to do the formatting? Can I first save the DVD to my hard drive and then convert it? Thanks for any input. I think Nero is what I have to use. Is that correct? Sorry for the long post.

2. turkey

turkey Regular member

i am not all that sure whether Premier will accept the extentions that DVD decrypter can produce but it is worth a shot... download Decrypter for free here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

after installing prog, go to Tools > Settings > IFO Mode. make sure there is a check next to "Enable Stream Processing". then in main prog window go to Mode > IFO. on righthand side of window, choose the "Stream Processing" tab. click each on the video and audio stream and choose "Demux" on each. then run the decrypt.

the resulting files will be .m2v for video, and .ac3 or .wav for audio. hopefully these will import to Premier...

3. pio4030

pio4030 Regular member

thanks for the reply. These are the formats that Adobe Premiere Pro accepts:

Video formats:
    Type 2 AVI, MOV, MPEG/MPE/MPG, Open DML, and WMV

Note: Type 1 AVI clips must be rendered before they can be previewed from your DV device. To render a Type 1 AVI clip, add it to a sequence in a DV project, and build a preview file of that section of the timeline.

Audio formats:
    AIFF, AVI, MOV, MP3, WAV, WMA

Still-image formats:
    AI, BMP/DIB/RLE, EPS, FLC/FLI, GIF, ICO, JPEG/JPE/JPG/JFIF, PCX, PICT/PIC/PCT, PNG, PRTL (Adobe Title Designer), PSD, TGA/ICB/VST/VDA, TIFF

Sequence formats:
    AI, BMP/DIB/RLE, Filmstrip, animated GIF, PICT/PIC/PCT, TGA/ICB/VST/VDA, TIFF, PSD

What other programs can I use to do the conversions to the formats listed above? Can I save the DVD to my hard drive and then convert the formats?

4. turkey

turkey Regular member

well like i mentioned before, i am not too familiar with Premier. but i know a file with .m2v extention is basically the same thing as a .mpg file, i suppose you can try simply renaming the .m2v to .mpg. i can also tell you that you are going to have to rip the DVD to your HD in order to do anything with it, so that's where DVD decrypter comes in. and ultimately the best way to edit native Mpeg video is with Womble MPEG Video Wizard. i thought Premier was supposed to be able to handle native Mpeg, maybe you need a plugin, but if not give MPEG Video Wizard a try.