1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need a DVD Rom drive ??

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by brad_uk, Feb 10, 2005.

1. brad_uk

brad_uk Guest

Hi there,

I am fairly new to copying DVD's but currently use DVD Shink and DVD Decryter with great sucess. I currently have a Lite On Cd/DVD Re-writer.

I just want to know the advantages of a ROM drive ?? Does this mean I can copy straight from one drive to the other without saving the file on my hard drive ??

Would it be better to get another burner drive so I can copy two dvd to my hard drive or use DVD shrink to copy two dvd's from hard drive to disc ??

Or should I get both ??

Would I need anything else i.e. higer ram. I currently have AMD 3000+ processor and 512 ram and 160gb hard drive.

Any comments welcome.

Cheers

Brad

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get the dvd-rom as less wear & tear on burner

3. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

most burners are locked so ripping with a dvd rom would be faster than ripping with your burner . and as ddp stated , less wear and tear on your burner .

4. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Your Cpu, Memory and HD are fine; no upgrades needed for an add on Dvd-rom. It definitely adds extra flexibility too along with what ddp and dlc* suggested; alot less wear and tear on a fairly expensive device (dvd burner) dvd-rom's are cheap at around 30 bucks. Burn time will be alot faster too; yes, you can copy from dvd-rom to burner. I suppose you will connect to secondary IDE on the mobo; be sure to check proper jumper settings on the 2 devices sharing the same ribbon/round cable and mobo EIDE connection. Keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2005
  5. brad_uk

brad_uk Guest

Thanks for your responses. I think I will get a ROM drive.

Shall I get an ON Lite model so it is comatable with my On Lite burner ??

Is there much difference using DVD Decryter and DVD Shrink with 2 drives?

Brad

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if had no problem with burner than get same dvd-rom drive

7. Starbuck1

Starbuck1 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2005
  8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

you will be able to utilise a broader range of products that support using a dvd rom as well as a dvd burner.Clone dvd and alcohol 120% do.

(ALCOHOL will actually support 2 dvd burners if you decide to go down that road)

If you up your ram and run both devices you are only going to really improve the time it takes to burn!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2005