1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do i need all this?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by adw, Sep 5, 2004.

1. adw

adw Guest

on our pc we have spywarestormer, adaware , and nortons anti virus 2004 . my question is do we need all of these things and which do u recommend goes if anything at all.thanks ppl

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

If you are running a Windows(tm) OS then you are vulnerable to all the nasties that those programs (and more) catch.

So, your choices are:

Stick with Windows and those programs, and have a small measure of security (those programs alone are not sufficient, you should also have a good firewall, a cookie cutter, a pop-up killer, and have a registry watcher/protector).

OR

Stick with Windows and remove one or more of those programs, start your stopwatch, and time how long it takes for your machine to be infected, trojanned or hijacked.

OR

Wipe the hard drive and install one of the consumer build Linux distributions (SuSe 9.1, Fedora etc), as Linux is not prey to those nasties (in general) you will not need those kinds of programs.

The drawback is - you will have to learn a bit more about your computer, and it will look and act slightly differently (but QUICKER and safer).

I would suggest you do some reading with respect to securing your computer while on the net.

Have Fun...

3. CJC

CJC Regular member

i havnt used SpywareStprmer, but yes

Im currently running Norton AntiVirus 2004, Adaware, Spybot - Search and Destroy, Adware Away, are the most common i use, and use on customer comptuers at work.

CJC

4. adw

adw Guest

thanks for the help ppl