1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need to re-encode all my video?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by danv03, Aug 16, 2004.

1. danv03

danv03 Member

Hello everyone. I would appreciate your help. I am trying to convert my home vhs tapes to dvd. Now the first thing i did was convert all my video into what I thought would be the correct format for burning to dvd. I used mpeg2, 24bit, 640x480,29.97fps, 5000kbps video with mpeg2 audio, 48KHz, 15bit, stereo, 224kbps. I used 640x480 because that is what I thought the tapes were. Anyway, when im using dvd moviemaker 3, it re-encodes all the video to 720 x 480 im guessing because I dont think my origonal resolution was dvd compliant. So whats my best bet here. I need to get these onto dvd, but it looks like my origonally encoded video won't work. If it needs to be re-encoded, is there a utility that can re-encode all my video at once? Thank you very much for your help. Obviously im new to this whole thing.

Dan

2. danv03

danv03 Member

ooook. thanks for the help ;) i went ahead and re encoded it all.... and its still going and going and going. hopefully it will be done within 2 days. I wish i was aware of the dvd compliant resolutions the first time i encoded. Oh well, thats why im a newbie.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

We've all went through the hurdles at some point :)