1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I Really Need To Upgrade Writer Firmware For New TDK CD-R 80 Min Discs 700 MB

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by labtec99, Jun 6, 2010.

1. labtec99

labtec99 Member

I was about to buy a pack of new TDK 700MB blank discs from Tesco, I read that it said on the pack that you may need to upgrade your writers firmware, why would this be? after all they are just ordinary blank recordable CD-'s to record data such as mp3's etc.

The TDK discs appear to be new in Tesco being that they are metallic and not the blue colour as they were previously.

My question is do I really need to upgrade my recently bought LG writer to use these discs?

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

if they are ordinary blank disks than no you shouldnt have to upgrade your burner.I've never heard of blank disks requiring you to upgrade your firmware before.you might want to stick with a brand/disk your familiar with.i buy the cheapest blanks i can find and 99% of the time they work fine.

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Sorry to drag up a dead thread and be an arse, but this is some awful advice. Firmware is what controls the write strategies that your burner uses to burn data to different flavours of CD/DVD media - updating it is almost always the first thing you should do if you encounter media troubles when burning.

The warning on the label is just there as a proviso in case the above situation presents itself and your burner is one (of probably very few) that cannot burn their CD media.

All new burners now will write to every CD media going and you needn't worry about it or buy a new burner. I would however buy some decent CDs, perhaps Sony, instead of TDK.

4. labtec99

labtec99 Member

Ripper,

Many thanks for your added comment, I totally agree with what you say, thankfully the writer that I purchased just some months ago hasn't given me any problems as yet.

One thing I must say however, is that there are some metallic blank discs that still discolour after time, and I have a Sony disc that comes into this category.

So I prefer to buy blank CD-R's that are not all silver.

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Glad to hear that. Well personally I don't really care for the longevity of my CDs because I tend to buy them in bulk and burn them off fast but, like xboxdvl2 did say, just stick to media you know that works for you! Happy burning.

6. labtec99

labtec99 Member

Hello again,

2 questions here,

The TDK CD-R 700MB that I mentioned on the OP have the name UHS (Ultra High Speed) written on the outside spindle label, now I have a different burner, it is a Samsung TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S222A, and the firmware is SB02, which I am led to believe is the latest firmware available, the manufacturer date on the burner is April 2010.

Would you think that my burner will work ok with this new layer dye for the UHS using these discs?

My second question is to do with upgrading firmware for normal DVD rom readers, after updating the firmware on my DVD only reader, I see that it shows as region code 2, it may well have been that prior to the update, but do those firmware updates change the previous codes? if they do then I would think twice before updating my new writer as it shows as NONE for the region, which I think means it would play any region, or am I wrong on that?

7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Your burner should be able to handle any sort of CD media, yes. 'Ultra High Speed' is no doubt some non-technical rubbish that TDK stick on the side of their packets.

Updating your firmware shouldn't change the existing region code, unless you are dealing with things such as region free, or rpc1, firmware.

8. labtec99

labtec99 Member

Thanks, what about the NONE on my burner? does that mean I can play any region on it?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010