1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do not i mean do not purchase plextor px-716a

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by sghost, Feb 15, 2005.

1. tafkam

tafkam Guest

I got a Plextor 716a from Best Buy the day after Christmas, installed it and have had no problems at all, either before or after I upgraded the firmware to 1.04.

Don't know if it makes a difference or not but I did not install any of the software from the CD that came with it, as it was not needed, my bios and XP picked the drive up right off the bat.

Now, I am looking to add a second burner, maybe another Plextor but I see Wal Mart has the HP ones with Lite Scribe for 99 bucks, anyone have any experience with these? The Lite Scribe feature looks kind of cool but I guess you have to use their special disks for that. Anyone have one and how do you like it?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

@tafkam,

that is called "off topic". Start a new thread.

3. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

ScubaBud - I looked on egghead.com for Maxtor ATA and SATA HD's, but could not see whether they did or did not come with a PCI adapter card. Do you know who sells the Maxtors with the card included?

If I buy a PCI card for my burner, does it matter whether I buy an ATA/100 or ATA/133? - does it make a difference in performance?

Right now I'm dismantling my Sony case to get to the drives...

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

robtwilk

I got my Maxtor's when they were on sale at CompUSA a while back, and on the outside of the box, it showed that it also came with the free ATA-133 PCI card. My machines do not need the cards, so I never used them. The cards by themselves are still very inexpensive so if you prefer a different HD, you can buy that make/model and a card for your DVD/CD drives.

5. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

Can you smell the smoke coming from ears?? I just installed the Plextor 716A and almost everything went perfectly. I have not yet burner anything, but my first issue involves Nero.

I got the suite of Nero products bundled with my Sony burner. When I tried to select the Plextor drive in Nero - it said "this version onlyu supports Sony Recorders". What is up with that?!

Is there a way around this? I really like the Nero products.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It's pretty common for bundled versions of Nero to only work with the brand drive they came with. I had the same thing happen when I replaced my old Yamaha CD burner with a Plextor Premium. Unfortunately there isn't a way around it.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

You could try to download the updates from Nero's site and see if it overrides your original. Worst case is that you would have a demo version of Nero to at least try your burner out. Just Package 1…

8. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

I tried the Nero 6.6 update thing right after I had the problem, but it still knows it is the "Sony specific" version. Bummer!

I burned "Bambi" on the Plextor 716A using Decrypter/Shrink and Decrypter to burn, since Nero was not available. It burned at 10x. The copy would not play correctly in any of my players. It would start and the menu would appear, but when I hit "Play" it would freeze (and show disc error) after the DVD and Walt Disney splashes. I could use chapter selection to play the movie with no problem. I reburned at 4x and it plays perfectly.

I was expecting great results - maybe even 16x burns. But if this is the result at 10x, I'm no better off than I was with my Sony. It could just be my computer is not as "clean" as it should be or this movie was just a bad example.

My Sony Vaio does not show the "DVD in use" light when the Plextor is spinning and my version of Nero is of no use. I am going to buy the Sony DRU-720A and be done with this. I have owned three Sony burners and the results have been pretty good.

Thanks for everything!!

9. wild77

wild77 Guest

What type of media did you use?Try some Taiyo Yuden 8X's.

Try running a Q-check PI/PO test with Plextools and see what your errors are.

10. SkyBum

SkyBum Guest

I just ordered the 716SA (SATA). A bit nervous after reading this thread but I think I'll trust in the people who have had no problems so far. It looks like a great drive on paper.

Would I be able to re-install windows with this SATA drive or does it require an IDE drive? Was kinda worried that I would need to install windows first and then the sata drivers after before the drive could be recognized. Could anyone clarify this?

Specs:
    AMD64 3500+ .90 / Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe / (512x2) OCZ EL PC-3200 Platinum Rev. 2 DDR / Asus AX800XT PCIe / Ultra X-Connect 500w / WD Raptor 74GB SATA 10,000 / Koolance Exos (CPU/GPU/MB) / Audigy 2 ZS / Klipsch Ultra 5.1 / Thermaltake Tsunami / NEC FE-950+ / Logitech MX-1000

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ SkyBum

I'm not very familiar with AMD boards but if your motherboard's chipset has native support for SATA I imagine you'll be fine.

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

When you install your SATA drive you have to first install the SATA drivers, with our MSI Delta boards (AMD chipset version) with the floppy disc you get with your M/B package.
    You go into BIOS, select floppy as first boot. Install drivers, this makes the board & drive able to talk to each other, then go as per the normal procedure to install your O/S. I will be doing this tonight as I have just got a 75gig Raptor drive from Western Digital. My mate did the same thing when he installed his Raptor onto his PC. We have the same M/Bs BTW! To be honest I am only 95% sure how to do it, I do believe in "having a go" in these new endeavours.
    Hope this was of some help(?!?!).
    Pulsar

OH dear, burners not HDs!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  13. olamite

olamite Regular member

there's a lot of (non) plextor 716a talk going on in here

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

edit

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  15. xtra

xtra Guest

I have a Memorex 16X and it is a very nice burner. I haven't had any problems burning any movie. I got it on the internet brand new for 59 dollars. I love my Memorex.
    Is it real or is it Memorex?

16. olamite

olamite Regular member

is it (live) or is it memorex!

17. xtra

xtra Guest

I don't know how I forgot the LIVE part but I did.

18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

more like...IF ITS (JUNK)ITS MEMOREX..LOL

19. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

SkyBum, when you received your Plextor 716a (SATA) keep us up to date...

I also have SATA Support on my Dell Dimension 8400.
    So if I decide to buy the Plextor, I might as well get the SATA version :)

I will use with Nero.

Thanks..

20. robtwilk

robtwilk Regular member

[bold]SkyBum[/bold] - I am using Sony 8x media, but they are really Yuden discs (media code is YUDEN000T02). These are supposed to be great discs. So far I have had no problems with the first 30 I used. This bad burn on the Plextor 716A is the first coaster so far.

When you get a bad burn is it usually at the very end of the movie? It was that way with the Memorex media I used. Prior to that I used Xcopy for over a year and all bad burns were at the very beginning of the movie and lasted throughout the movie.

The Plextor 716A is back at Best Buy. I purchased the Sony DRU-720A, installed it and am burning away. Losing Nero (my version works with only Sony drives) was a big part of my decision to return the Plextor. Although it looked like it came with some great tools. Also, I have owned three Sony burners and they work well.

I heard so many good things about Plextor so I gave it a try. I'm sure many people are satisfied with theirs.