1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do standalone CD recorders still need CDR audio to be able to record on them?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Mrlovkim, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

I use my computer to burn CD's but my brother is using a Sony W500C/W100 standalone CD recorder for the first time and while picking up discs he was told he did not need CDR audio labeled discs and I think he does because these would not work on the unit, when he presses record it says data disc.

Should not my brother find discs just labeled CDR Audio/recordable nothing else?

They still make discs that are just used for standalone cd recorders,right?

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

'CD-R audio' have just been optimized for audio recording. But I don't know the advaantege of that optimization.
    I never use them (they are more expensive than normal CD-R). To stay on the 'safe side' you might lower the burning speed.

3. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

My brother bought CDR's that they guys at Best Buy said would work because there is no just CDR Audio anymore but when he got home and used them and hit record the player said data discs.

I use to use the players a few years ago and you had to buy CDR's that said Audio on them to work on standalone CD recorders and I thought maybe these guys knew what they were talking about since in been almost three years since I used a standalone recorder but it looks like you still have to buy ones that say CDR Audio.

4. berndu

berndu Member

Yes, you must use CD-R's labled CD-R Audio or CD-R Music on stand alone CD burners. These discs contain a code that allows the stand alone CD recorder to work. An electronic key.

This was done to force the user to pay more for these CD's. The extra money that the manufacturers get for these higher priced CD's are then given to the "record" companies as royalites for copying their music. It is assumed that the user of a stand alone burner will use it for such illegal practices.

[bold]Aldaco:[/bold] The CD-R Audio or Music are not optimized for audio recording. Unless you mean by optimizing, the adding of the code. Who ever told you that did not know what they were talking about. A CD is a CD. CD's are all manufactured exactly the same way or with the same process. It is the code or key that is copied to the CD afterwards that differentiates it (CD-R Music) from a Data CD.

I had to search the web to learn the difference between Music and Data CD's. When in doubt -- search the web. It is usually quicker and more complete than waiting for someone to reply to your post.

One last note. A Best Buy sales person once told me that you need to use CD-R Music for recording music. Period! On a computer CD burner or stand alone. I knew precisely at that very moment to never again listen to retail store sales people since they usually don't know what their talking about!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  5. Mrlovkim

Mrlovkim Regular member

Thank you.

That is what I thought but wanted to be sure because like I said its been almost three years since I used a standalone CD recorder.

The information you gave made it alot more understandable now.:)

Al