1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do these so called programs really speed up and fix your pc

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by pomp3y, Jul 27, 2010.

1. pomp3y

pomp3y Regular member

Do these so called programs really speed up and fix your pc

I know there is loads of programs out there that clam to fix,speed up your pc and so on, i'm just wondering if they really do work.
    I use to use some of them years ago but ever since i got windows 7 never really bothered with them and now i've been thinking really hard about this and still not sure if using any of them is gonna be worth while and just wanted to hear other peoples point of views or if they actuality know they work and they just don't create things to make you think it's working.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place not been on this site for a a long time

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

When your computer is fresh and not full of extraneous crap it will run the best. Unfortunately, your computer works hard to gunk itself up. ie. When you delete a program traces are often left behind. The install folder is left with partial files it or orphan entries are left in your Registry for example. Defrag your hard drive and come back later you will find fragmentation even if you have done nothing with your machine.

What to do?

Keep your computer clean after removing a program - look for the folder it was installed in, then delete it if still there.

Do not overload your hard drive. Remove unused data files; store on a disk or flash drive. Your machine needs breathing room to function. Saving valuable data in case of a crash or other problem is simply a good idea. I use Norton Ghost to make an image of my entire machine from time to time. That way if I catch a virus or whatever, just put the image back on (no need to reformat and reinstall, etc) and I'm ready to go in about an hour - not 3 days of headaches.

Editing the registry manually is NOT a good idea unless you positively know what you are doing. Get a good registry cleaner. I have found CCleaner to be safe and easy to use (free too). There are probably other to choose from as well.

Empty the Recycle Bin and Defrag on a regular basis.

These so called speed up programs are often scams or spyware. Maybe not all of them, but you can count on them wanting cash money to do what you can do on your own with just a little effort and a couple of free programs. Check out the software section on AfterDawn.

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

the main 2 ways of speeding up your computer are hardware upgrade or overclocking.There is a section on afterdawn with info about overclocking dont recommend it myself as it killed my last computer.defrag will make your computer run a bit better and getting rid of virus's/spyware/malware will make it run smoother.heard CCcleaner is good for cleaning up the registry.

4. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Why on earth did you drag up this old thread to give bad advice and repeat what has already been said?

Particularly the overclocking comment - that is why it is generally regarded as an advanced process and not to be played with if you don't understand/know what you are doing, xboxdvl2.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

ripper, thread is not that old.

xboxdvl2, there is more then 2 ways to speed up a system so think about it.

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Point still stands!

7. ddp

which point?

8. Ripper

Ripper Active member

The one I made in private.

9. ddp

we'll see.

10. Ripper

Ripper Active member

It was just an observation, but none of my business either way really eh.

11. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

well i pointed out my view on overclocking.
    @ddp i'm thinking software,hardware or overclocking.You may know some other ways im not aware of.

12. Ripper

Ripper Active member

It killed your last computer because you did it wrong/your hardware wasn't up to it. That doesn't mean you can go around painting a whole topic in a bad light because you've had a bad experience with it, particularly with no knowledge of the OP's system whatsoever.

13. ddp

xboxdvl2, now you have 3 ways to speed up a system.

14. hooter007

hooter007 Regular member

Get rid of the stuff you dont use!
    Espically the clutter extras that come installed with your comp

15. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

msconfig works well, the amount of programs that those nitwit software developers think we all need running bloody pathetic

adobe can be replaced with sumatra ect
    in control panel look for java & turn off it's auto update as well as it's quick start

There's a whole stack of other crap in the task manager,processquicklink2 by uniblue can make sense of what's what in the task manager saves having to search each process individually in the end there ain't no substitute for cubes (bigger cpu etc)

http://www.glaryutilities.com/processlibrary/process/ProcessQuickLink2.exe.html

Edit:forgot to mention start playing with linux if you want speed with low system resources the below are free,more at distro watch
    linux puppy
    quirky
    linux mint

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  16. aldan

aldan Active member

so this post started asking questions about pc booster programs like pc speeder etc.it ended up being a pissing match.ripper,i expected somewhat better from you.bottom line is that the op's question still hasnt been answered.from my point of veiw these programs dont provide any tangible difference in performance.anyone else?

17. Ripper

Ripper Active member

aldan, I have no idea who you are and don't think I have ever come across you on aD before, but thank you for your valuable opinion regarding what you have come to expect of me.

I'm not sure if you're reading the same thread as I am, but the amount of information already posted concerning valid ways to maximise your PC's performance would lead one to suggest that "these programs" are a total and utter waste of time, would it not?

18. aldan

aldan Active member

been around for a few years now,learn what i can,share what i know.being an auto mechanic and not that tech savvy at first i spent more time learning.just thought the thread was getting off topic and becoming more of a rant.cheers Al.