1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you get what you PAY for or not? (Various DVD burners) +R vs -R

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by buzzlo11, Mar 9, 2004.

1. buzzlo11

buzzlo11 Member

So, here I am posting a non-tech question and seeking anwsers.

I suppose that some cn argue you get what you pay for and others will say, hey, that's way overpriced, you can get xx at megastore y.

Well, that's not really the question, what I'm trying to figure out (still as I'm less than a week old into the DVD phase of my life (hey, I think I waited until a good time....DVD's are cheaper, most are dual format) and anything under a few hundered is great in my opinion, but I guess thats what it is, my opionion, and now I'm looking for some more (opinions).

A few years back I purchased a lite on CDR, it gave me know problems for it's life, in fact, I think it's still on my g/f's mom PC. I upgraded it to a Sony 48 CDR as I needed faster write times. That was 1.5 years or so ago. However, last week, my CDR stopped working, upon investigation, I noticed one of the "pins" (IDE on the sony, was broken", well that will do it for sure.

I knew I had to get a CDR again, or this time a DVDR since the price to performace (what you get) is much better now for DVD burners.

Last week, a friend of mine got a HP 8X + only dvd burner, I chose the Lite On 8X +R, 4X +/- R, RW DVD for about the same price.

So, being new to this, I guess my questions are, do you get what you pay for? Should I consider a different model? Lite on just came out with a 8X -R and +R, mine is only 8X at +R, that said, why the different formats and is one more future proof than another. I know the manufactures, HP, vs Kodak, vs SONY vs Panasonic DVD consumer players prefer one over the other, but why? Is there one taking over than another?

This leads me to think...(for example) why was 8X +R the first to 8X, but now we're seeing DVD burners with 8X -R? I have plenty of time to return mine, but just wanted to open up the discussion on what the best bet, at least for the temporary future, may hold.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Dual Layer is just round the corner ! :)

Sort of makes the -R Vs +R format discussion stone dead anyway , although to answer that ... there's is no real compatibilty issues with either format these days (although -R did used to have the upperhand)

I have always owned a Pioneer -R Writer & will update as soon as I find out the whole truth behind being able to make the Pioneer106/107 dual layer by firmware revision.
    The Pioneer 107 is a X8 dual format writer that seems to be as popular & trouble free as most of its previous models.

Anyway to finish off , I think 7-8 mins for burning a DVD is a bit too fast ! (never thought I would say that - lol)

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

C'mon herbs, eight minutes too fast ;) It still seems weird to me.

How about that 16X/Dual layer burner Philips has on tap for July? Check it:

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babe...ww.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/45191&lp=de_en
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gigabyte 8INXP, Intel P4HT 3.06
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro
    Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium/LTD-166S
    M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2004
  4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

That page has been translated , and terribly so at that ;-)

X16 would be taking the pi** !! Only 4 minutes to write a DVD ... cant see much media errors happening there (lol)
    Was reading a NEC f/w review last night on behalf of aD n00b & a firmware patcher was stating that
    (Quote from http://forum.rpc1.com/ )

5. Nephilim

Good quote, it's hard to argue with the guy. I have a feeling that with good media 8X will be alright, but I can just imagine the loads of posts we'll get here when Princo starts calling their media 8X. Let us all prepare :O
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro/M-Audio Revolution 7.1
    "And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33[/small]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2004
  6. Nephilim

I just found this - Plextor just announced the PX-712A. It'll write @12X with 8X media. Back up to an 8MB buffer and suppoet for -R @8X. Something about a serial ATA version soon too.

http://www.plextor.be/english/products/px712a.html
    Mushkin 1024 MB PC2100
    Sapphire 9800 Pro/M-Audio Revolution 7.1

Last edited: Mar 10, 2004