1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you guys load off HDD or disc?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by 80smetal, Feb 12, 2007.

1. 80smetal

80smetal Guest

There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods.
    I guess most people use both methods. I am about to get my xbox hardchipped soon and i am thinking of chucking in a massive 300 Gig HDD, or more to load games on.

I read games load much faster off the HDD than from a DVD disc.
    That makes sense since the average XBOX drive only reads at about 4X max, and are kinda unreliable all round.
    It is also more convenient as you don't have to get off your butt and change discs everytime you want to play a different game, lol, super couch potato!
    By loading games from the HDD you are probably putting less stress and wear on your DVD optical laser which could potentially increase the lifespan of your DVD drive and reduce the chances of it faulting.
    Can you think of any other advantages?
    I heard that alot of people load all their games off the HDD, and only make a DVD-R backup for that reason, backup purposes, just incase their harddrive fails and they need to retain their games.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

the advantages you mentioned should be enough. I would not have it any other way.
    I back up games in case of hard drive corruption, but having them all on the Xbox saves these discs from ever being damaged.
    Faster load times
    In Game Reset (switching games without getting up)
    Saving Laser Life
    what else could you need?

3. skew

skew Member

Yeah I gotta agree with Steimy, I always use the hdd.
    and the games do[i/] load faster
    Also that 300GB should be awesome(my 200 holds an average of 70 games at once!)
    plus the worst thing that ive heard of happening to the hdd, is that people say sometimes they get fragmented(I guess the they slow down/ have errors) but this hasn't really ever given me any trouble, and if it does, all you need is this "refresher" disc(your mod guy should be able to supply you with one) You just run it, and then reinstall your games, from the backups(and if they're backed up as "data" dvd's, you can ftp them from the computer, which is easier on the laser, and faster then ripping)

Yeah and some people even like to rip movies and other media to their hdd upgraded XB's
    Its better if you can afford it.