1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dodgy mpg split

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by andymunro, Mar 22, 2004.

1. andymunro

andymunro Member

I encoded a full movie as an mpeg ready to split in have and put on two vcds.

First half burnt fine. But when i come to burn the second half using nero i get a message saying that its encoded wrong and it wants to rencode it. When i try to burn it using Super DVD Creator 5.0 again my source file is un-compatable.

Why with the second half and not the first half? and how do i fix it with out doing the whole re-encoding the divx again? I cant do another split because i deleleted the full mpeg encode.

I used Boilsoft to split the mpeg, i also used this to split an mpeg before which i was alright to burn both halves with ease.

2. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

Ive had that problem too and i just clicked,(i dont remember exactly how its worded but something to the effect of shut off standard).Im sorry i dont remember what it said but you have three options,abort,re-encode,make non standard or something like that and i clicked the non standard and it burned,and played fine.
    its not your splitter because ive used easy video splitter and TMPGEnc and still got that message in nero.
    i dont have a clue what the problem is but that worked for me.
    sorry i sound so confused but its late lol

good luck
    jim

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]no matter where you go...there you are.
    you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!![/small]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2004
  3. andymunro

andymunro Member

I just set up an afterburn on re-encode this morning before i come to work as well, cos when i did re encode last night i woke up to the comp saying disc not big enough.

Just exactly how much video can you get on svcd, on 80min blank disc, cos i got ROTJ to do and it 2hrs 2 mins, really dont want to split it over three discs, two is bad enough.

4. andymunro

andymunro Member

but thanks for the advice - forgot to write it into that one, il try it later if mine doesnt work, cos im not convinced it will.

5. andymunro

andymunro Member

OK THEN - STILL GOT PROBS!!! :O(

hadnt burnt when i got home, sop turned off the standard compliance as advised, still wont butn cos the disc isnt big enough, and i dont know why. Its an 80 min cd, and the length of the mpeg is only 58.10, ive done 59 mins before on an 700mb cd before so why not this time?

6. whassup

whassup Regular member

Ok, when burning video to CD's, it's the size that counts and not the time.

Burning video is Level (Type?) II. (I can't remember now since it's been quite a few years.) For a 80 min CD, you can get about 805 MB on it. For a 74 min CD, it's about 745 MB.

Instead of "splitting" a large MPG, why not use TMPGEnc (or most other encoders) and you can select where you want to start encoding. Set up the batch encoding for the 2 halves of the movie.

You really shouldn't be getting any problems that way.

7. andymunro

andymunro Member

That helps knowing its the size and not the timing. The film Im doing Return of the jedi, is 2 hours 2mins long. I always split films at a scene change. So the first half was just short of 1hour, but the 2nd half is just over. The 2nd half of the film is an 840mb mpeg so i think il just have to split it into 3 parts so i dont lose any quality. Itl do till september when the box set comes out on dvd.