1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Adobe Premier only capture to AVI?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ferradas, Apr 23, 2004.

1. ferradas

ferradas Member

Hi all, I'm new to this community. I have a question. I just bought a DVD burner and have started to make DVD's out of my home movies that I currently have on Hi8 tape. I'm using s video and rca jacks from my camcorder into the back of my video card and sound card. My camcorder has firewire but the port seems to be inop.

Anyways, my questions is this..... Since AVI files are way to big, I'm trying to capture to Adobe Premier but I would like to capture to some other than AVI, something smaller file size, I know that the quality becomes less, but that's ok.

Currently I've been using Windows Movie Maker for captures and also Roxio's DVD Builder.

Paul

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

No you can not use Premier to capture to anything But AVI but you Can use a Codec to compress the Video in Real time without a great ammount of Quality Loss Like the "Pic Video MJPEG Codec" is widely regarded as Being one of the Best AVI Codecs for Quality and it"s File sizes are about 1/4 of the Size when not useing a Codec to capture....You could allways use a Mpeg capture Program and Capture directly to Mpeg1/2 but you will not be able to any real editing of your Mpeg files because Mpeg files aren"t really meant to be edited, but if you want to capture to Mpeg then I would recomend Intervideo WinDVR 3.0 but you will also need a Very fast PC to capture to this Format, At least 2.0ghz....
    If you device to use an AVI codec to Capture I would also suggest that you stay Far away from the RoXio software because useing the RoXio software to convert the captured AVI files to Mpeg2/DVD will greatly reduce the Quality because Roxio software is Well Known for useing one of the worst Quality Mpeg2/DVD Encoders ever created...You would be better off useing a standalone Encoder Like Tmpgenc or the MainConcept encoder and after useing one of them to convert your Captured AVI files to Mpeg2/DVD you can use a DVD authoring program Like DVD-Lab to Author the Mpeg2 file to DVD...If the Roxio Program does not try to Re-encode the File when createing the DVD then you can use it also but only as Long as it doesn"t try to encode the Mpeg2 file....Cheers