1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does discwelder suits my needs? (+tutorials?)

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by mooglez, Jul 30, 2004.

1. mooglez

mooglez Regular member

Hi

I'm thinking about getting discwelder, and would like an opinion if it suits my needs:

1: i'm looking to transfer my original cd's into a backup format, that is still playable in my dvd-v/a player.

2: i'd like to have multiple cd's of a single band on a single dvd (i believe around 4-6 cd's will go on a dvd-a disk, on normal stereo cd quality)

3: i'd like to scan the covers, and use them as backgrounds for each cd's page in the menu.

now that part 3, is what i'm worried about.

how versatile is the menu making in discwelder? i downloaded the manual from discwelder.com and it didn't dwell into making your own menus at all.. are there any tutorials or better help files with the final product? or available somehwere on the net?

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Which version of discWelder were you looking at buying?
    There is a comparison chart on their website, just go to www.discwelder.com and click on the "Vs" in Steel Vs Chrome, and you get 5 pages comparing the different versions.

Bronze will not let you import graphics, nor does it allow graphical backgrounds.
    However, it is only $99

Steel gives you a lot more options, but for equivalent money you could get WaveLab which includes data disc burning as well as CD-A redbook, and the best editor available too.

Chrome is the top, but very dear.

To answer your questions, WaveLab 5 would seem like the one to get, unless you have $3,000 & another $2500 for MLP encoder too.

3. mooglez

mooglez Regular member

Steel is what i was looking at. Chrome is way out of my price range for this operation, especially with meridian =)

thanks for the tip on wavelab, i'll start checking up on that program and post again when i run into a problem that needs knowledgeble information.

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

WaveLab 5 will give you access to all 9 groups, Steel only one.
    Steel Will give you the option to scan in your own graphics, so does WaveLab.
    In addition, WaveLab gives you more control over the menu. Plus preview options.
    And CD-Audio to red book, Audio editor in both stereo & multitrack, plugin support, bang for the buck, WaveLab is better value than Steel is.
    www.steinberg.net

5. mooglez

mooglez Regular member

i did some testing of wavelab lastnight, at a friends place. and i'm finding that program to be very confusing..

in a few hours, i hadn't gotten anywhere with it. and there's no bloody stop button once a track starts playing, atleast i couldn't find one :)

i did a create new audio montague, right clicked on the lower left #1 and selected add stereo track.

i then tried adding multiple .wav's and get their waveforms listed in lower section. now this is where i can't get forward.. (typed a lot of text but deleted it as useless grumbling)

(now i know i should rtfm, but i think that my purpose of using the program isn't to use all the multiple abilities, but a simple "add these .wav files to this dvd audio disk, in this order, and then let me make the menu")

hmm.. that was some rambling.. in effect i'm asking, is there a simple and fast way to get those .wav files into a audio montague that i can then use in the dvd-a process?

i don't have a chance to go try the software again untill a few days from now, so atleast i have some time to cool down :)

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

There is a "bloody stop button".
    It's on the transport.

You must take the time to go through the tutorials in the manual .

If you cannot be bothered to do even this, then frankly you are never going to be able to cope with authoring DVD-A.
    There is much more to DVD-A than a few mouse clicks.

Take the time to do some work for yourself before coming in complaining about things that are covered in the first few pages of the manual.

You cannot possibly expect to be handed everything on a plate.

7. mooglez

mooglez Regular member

that teaches me to post first impressions and thoughts after two hours of using a new and multifunctional program, to a forum.

as i said, i only had two hours of time, and decided to use it to fumble with the program, instead of reading the manual which i can do in the time between my previous use, and when i next have a chance to use it.

in comparison, discwelder seems a lot more straightforward, but i am not about to give up on a program just because i couldn't get it to do what i wanted, on the first try.

btw, i believe that the best way to learn a new program is to use it, in different ways, to learn the aproximate functions of the menus and buttons, and THEN read the manual.

now what i expected as an answer was basicly just a "you're doing it in the aproximitely right way, keep at it" or "that is not even close, *small hint*"

8. mooglez

mooglez Regular member

the audio importation problem is solved, now to peruse the menu making possibilities of this program.

ps: thanks for the tip on enabling transport toolbar.

9. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Also for transport, the enter key on the numeric part of keypad will start play, the 0 key will also stop.