1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does ipod only work with itunes?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by inkybrown, Oct 14, 2005.

1. inkybrown

inkybrown Member

Hi,
    I have read lots of reviews about ipod and creative zen and I am trying to decide which one to get. (Now I only have a Rio Chiba player which is crap and whose software is a pain to use.) I see many pros and cons for each product. But I heard that if you have an ipod you can ONLY get songs from itunes. You can't even rip audio from your own cds, you have to buy them on itunes. Is this true? That doesn't make sense...if I already bought a cd and I want to put some tracks on an mp3 player, shouldn't that work no matter what mp3 player I have? Does creative zen allow you to put audio from your cds on there? Does ipd really not allow this?
    thanks!!!
    inkybrown

2. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member

don't worry, you have been fed a lot of bs. the ipod can play cd's you have bought or downloaded, whether from itunes or p2p. they just have to be .ogg .aiff .aac apple lossless .wav, and of course mp3 format. =)

3. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

Not that is not true. You can rip albums to MP3 or another format as long as the device supports it. So if you bought an iPod you can use iTunes to download songs from their online music store, rip albums you already own to put on the iPod or transfer songs you have already downloaded. The same with the Creative Zen. But if the CD is copyprotected then you will need to crack the protection first before attempting to rip the CD.

4. MrToast

MrToast Guest

Are you nuts? Get and Ipod!

5. sunnysgr8

sunnysgr8 Guest

I have an i pod shuffle and it is loaded with my own music and I have never bought music from itunes. In fact I've never even been to their store on line except to check it out a few minutes ago and their giving me a free tune. I like the shuffle b/c it's compact enough that I can go anywhere with it and with the right ear set I canput it in my pocket, run the wire up my back and wear my hair down and you can not even tell I have it on (for when your suppose to be paying attention, but don't feel like it: or remove one ear peice slightly to hear If you must.) I don't know how big a unit you are looking to get, but small as it is the shiffle works great for me and holds around 100-112 songs depending on their length. A must if you like to walk or jog!

6. Lethal_B

Lethal_B Moderator Staff Member