1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it matter what type of DVD i use

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cyco62, Dec 24, 2004.

1. cyco62

cyco62 Guest

does it matter if the dvd is + or - because i copied a dvd sucessfully but it wouldnt play on my dvd player. Is this because of the dvd player of because i used a + disk.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

It may depend on how old your player is. The older ones back 2 or 3 years ago seem to only like -R media. The newer one usually will play both. Here is a good site to check player/ burner/ media compatibility.
    http://www.videohelp.com.
    On left side click either dvd player or dvd writer. Then type in your model in the search area.

Jerry

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What brand of media you are burning?How fast are you burning? model name and # of your dvd burner?

4. cyco62

cyco62 Guest

Im burning memorex DVD+RW at 4times on an LG 16x super multi DVD/CD rewriter 8.5 GB DVD+R double layer GSA-4160B it burns anything ... apparently

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

RWs are not quite as compatible as non-rewritable DVDs so you may just want to try some -R media. The +RWs are handy when experimenting or troubleshooting though.

I use Ritek G-04s with no compatability problems in a variety of DVD players:

http://www.supermediastore.com/ritek-4xdvdr-fs.html

6. cyco62

cyco62 Guest

yah im a canadian though so i dont know if i can order from here. what would be a good store brand to buy where it wont screw up all the time

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Merry christmas cyco62,From canada aye, I am with fasfrank,rw-s are a lot harder to play on stand alones but perfect to practice with.Since you want to buy from a store,look for "made in japan" on the label. Japan makes the finest dyes.The maxell -4x yellow tops are excellent. Fuji's with this label are also great. When you find made in taiwan,some are good,some bad. If it is made anywhere else,beware of them.The + formats seem to have a higher quality available. Try a small pack of both + and - maxell,or sony. They haven't failed me yet.I haven't tried any tdk-/+r's yet,but they should be ok.Avoid store brand name media like staples brand,harder to tell who made them.You just have to find the certain brand that your stand alone player likes.This usually fixes this issue in 90% of the cases.Merry Christmas to all of AD.