1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it take this long?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Synthetix, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

Hi everyone, as you can tell i'm a newbie. I thought i had done my research, but then i found this site. I actually bought DVD CLONER II, and it didn't even work! It goes up to 84% then it says DONE! I can't get it to work. A screen will pop up saying to choose a target, and when I do, it tells me to choose a hard disk.

Well, I found this site after doing more extensive searches, and I downloaded the DVD Shrink and DVD Encrypter. But man, it's still ripping to my hard drive! It's been over 2hrs. Is this common? I did click on the compress video with high quality. Since I don't have 2 DVD roms, i have to rip to the hard drive first. So does it suppose to take this long? Thanx for any help!

These are my specs:

DVD Writer: HP 640i
    DVD Media: Maxell DVD+R
    Windows XP

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Is your DMA set to 'on'?

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

You have to consider, Shrink doesn't just rip. It also compresses (unless you chose no compression).

So,

1) DVD Burners rip much slower than DVD Roms.

2) Shrink using deep analysis and quality enhancements will make the process longer. For me I think it's around 1 1/2 hours maybe two (been awhile since I used both deep analysis and quality enhancements)

System specs?

4. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

Thanx for the replies! Since this was my first copy, is it really noticible if you click on those advanced quality boxes? Is it a lot faster if I don't click on those? Thanx! I'm about to install a DVD Rom, will this also help since I'm ripping to my hard drive first, then burning to blank media. Thanx again!

5. flip218

If I use Shrink, I just use deep analysis (process is only 30-40 minutes if I only use that option).

If the end product looks bad, I'll try another program.

Currently my program of choice is Nero's Recode 2.

6. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

a dvdrom will generally read a dvd faster than a burner will . most burners are locked on the read speed . so yes installing a dvd rom to read your dvd's will improve your read speeds over using your burner for the job .

7. flip218

Ya should have got a Plextor 716. With the newest firmware it rips faster than my lite on.