1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does my tv have the digital tuner in it?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by dragnandy, Apr 4, 2008.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i hope im using the rights words in here because im kind of new to TV's. as i have read long ago and saw on tv the digital thing is comming February and it says that some tv's have the digital tuner built in and some need converter boxes correct? how do i tell if mine has one or not? i doubt it does, but my dad got it a few months ago, and im pretty sure its not a new model but who knows?

im not sure but looking at the manual, i think its a Sony KDL-40S3000

2. attar

attar Senior member

According to your link, it has digital DVB-T terrestrial and a DVB-C cable tuners.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  3. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

does this mean that i can use a digital reciever? or that its built in?

sorry for these questions but im unfamiliar with these things. im trying to googling it up and stuff though.

edit: i think that the DVB-C cable is the output where i can use an antenna or converter box for digital boxes. but im not sure about the DVB-T though.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  4. attar

attar Senior member

I'm in North America, and am not familiar with the different terms used in the EU.

5. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

oh thats weird being i live in US,North America too. so can you explain what the digital DVB-T terrestrial and a DVB-C cable tuners do?

6. attar

attar Senior member

7. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

so my tv is 40", so it doesnt fall in any of those categories. so how can i check if mine has a tv tuner built in?

8. varnull

varnull Guest

Bloody hell.. do you know how retarded this is starting to sound..

Does it have a TV tuner in it??.. YES or it would be sold as a MONITOR!!

Look on the back for an aerial socket and then plug your aerial wire into it.. Press a few buttons.. MENU is a good one and do a channel scan..

Do you see lots and lots of channels like on a cable box? or just a few.
    FFS.. most new TV's are now equipped with digital tuners. It would be really really stupid for top end manufacturers to sell them without when £129 lcd tv's have them.

[very sarcastic remark concerning a lovely top of the range car.. beautiful to look at..alloys, spoilers, body kit and custom paintjob.. kicking sound system but with no engine removed]

9. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

oh sorry maybe im using the wrong words and my tv vocabulary is a little off, i meant like digital receiver?

ok lets just start over then, do ALL tv's need a converter box for the digital thing Feb 2009? because i heard somewhere that not all TV's need them. and for my model, do i need to buy a converter box?

10. attar

attar Senior member

The Sony set that you listed (North American version) has an ATSC digital tuner for over the air (antenna) reception of broadcast digital channels.
    It also has a connection for digital cable.
    This set does not require any additional equipment to receive digital signals.
    If you have any stations broadcasting a digital signal in your area (and you have an antenna connected, it should be picking them up now in addition to the analogue broadcasts..

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SKnGEA3XROR/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?i=15840S3000

11. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

oh ok thanks. and do you know when like stations will start broadcasting digital signals? are some already starting to do it?

12. attar

attar Senior member