1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Plasma TV Tech suck?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Pittfan, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

I Was wondering if Plasma is any good compaired to LCD TV's ?
    Thanks , pittfan and Merry Christmas

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

To those in the know plasmas (Pioneer and Panasonic) have always provided the superior viewing experience. LCDs are starting to catch up but tend to cost more and still have a harder time dealing with fast motion and detailed rich blacks.

3. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

Thankyou for the Information .

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

If an LCD suits you Samsung would be a wise choice.

5. truno

truno Member

My samsung LN40A650 out of no where started getting this static picture. this youtube video is an example of what is happening to my tv.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-IceHk4CHc&feature=related

I'm taking it back and although I like this TV I hear plasma is better. I can get a bigger plasma TV for cheaper. The only problem is I play alot of games and burn in is a problem. Have plasmas overcome this problem?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I would assume it's just a fluke. That's a highly rated set with very good reliability ratings.

7. truno

truno Member

I was hoping it was a fluke but trust me this thing is toast. Last night it worked and I had my a bunch of kids in the house so I put on walle through the VGA input and it worked fine. I then fired up the Wii on component cables and BAMM the tv did the static thing. I turned it off then on and I got a black screen. I hear the wii on but no picture. The back lights come on but its just a black screen (well Grey because of the back lights.) I'm taking it back today and I'm picking up a Panasonic TH42PZ85U (1080p 42" 480hz sublayer drive <- not sure what that is, and virtual surround sound) or maybe the TH42PZ80U witch 200 bucks cheaper (20000:1 instead of 30000:1 and no virtual surround sound)

8. Pittfan

Pittfan Regular member

Plasma has a shorter life then LCD though, right ?

9. Basenco

Basenco Regular member

That's the only thing I do not like about these new digital sets. Longevity is definitely a big question. And to get the best picture you have to pay.

10. truno

truno Member

Yeah it sucks that we pay thousands for a product that will only last a maximum of 2 years (an average of less than 1) I remember back in the day when a TV use to be in the family for generations. I still have my grandmas OLD wooden panel TV with the dials. That thing has been through my Atari all the way to my PS3.

I hear DLPs are pretty solid. In fact projection TV's use about 3x less electricity and the only thing is that they are huge, heavy, are only good for viewing in a dark room with the TV straight in front of you.

11. MysticE

MysticE Active member

DLP is pretty a dead issue. The biggest proponent (JVC) has pretty much bailed out.

Who says longevity is an issue? And were do you come up with 2 years?

What a major revelation.

12. truno

truno Member

I always heard two years. you know a lot of these plasma and LCD ofrums and articles are yeas old, and sites sometimes don't supply a date stamp so you don't know if the info your reading is up to date. damn internet.

Anyway I think I figured out what was the problem. I might have accidentally switched the blue and green component cables. I noticed that the issue would happen when the wii was plugged in and to fix it I'd unplug the wii and power down the TV. This was only a temp fix but if I left it off for long enough It was alright, until i plugged the wii back in. Today I noticed that the blue and green plugs where switched around. I don't know if I inadvertently damaged the TV by doing this but I am still taking this thing back and getting a new one just in case. Hope fully this was just a fluke and my next set will be perfect.

I don't know who thought a bunch of micro mirrors was ever a good idea. Anything with moving parts has an extreme potential to fail and dlps have a lot.