1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Region affect playback of DVD-+r Movies in XP

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jahern, Dec 14, 2004.

1. jahern

jahern Member

Bought a new computer. Among the differences besides hardware is going from 98se to xp. It made sure that I chose a region and warned me that I shouldn't and coudln't do it too often. Since basically all my backup copies (done using Shrink ) are no region, could that be why this computer does not even know that a disc DVD(-+)R is in the drive? I'm trying to find out about the drive itself, but removing and reinstalling doesn't seem to help THE DRIVE PLAYS REGULAR DVD'S AND BACKUP DATA DVD'S BUT NOT DVD-+R MOVIES.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  2. jahern

jahern Member

Well I'll tell you my experience (since you asked so nicely) Since my inquiry earlier today, I re-ripped a backup dvd movie specifying Region 1. I put it in my new machine and as usual Windows explorer was not indicating anything. Just for laughs I re-booted and noticed that the disc was now visible and could be watched. Just for a few more laughs I put in a dvd+r region-free disc. No visibility, reboot, VISIBLE AND WATCHABLE. So either I "got the ball rolling" by putting in the Region 1 disc, and now it plays everything, or I just discovered the REBOOT TO MAKE VISIBLE method. I think I was regularly trying to reboot before, so I am not sure what happened. (more later after some more fiddling around?)

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi there jahern welcome aboard,

My guess is that the "reboot" made the difference, as for your region setting. You should know where you live. The US is # 1, the UK is # 2 - and your burner and player's should be set for your region.
    When you're backing up DVD's, make them region free so that they can be sent anywhere and be played. Almost every ripper proggy out there does that "automatically".

There may be a disc problem going on here that makes a difference too When I used Memorex, I had to reboot inorder to use it. Can't tell you why BUT there were some "tricks" of which that was one that got me through some poor media.

What media are you using ? ?

When I changed to RiData, Verbatim DatatLife "Plus" and Ritek G04's I was able to set aside the rebooting thing -

There are some things we should check as they have a direct influence over how our drive behaves -

1. Let's check for up-to-date Firmware for your burner.

"OK, so what is this "Firmware" garbage?" Fair question. Firmware is a "tutor" who's job it is to eliminate any "bugs" found in your drive and to "introduce" your burner to all the different kinds of media to your burner is likely to run into and to tell your burner a little bit about it. What type of media it is and at what speed to burn it. As new media is introduced OR, as the Mfgrs of your burner find new ways to use it, new firmware updates OR "Flash upgrades" come out to "school" your burner, keeping it up-to-date. It's good to keep your burner up-to-date as it "tweaks" your burner and keeps it operating at peak performance.

Of major Importance - When dealing firmware, you must match your burner's exact model with the proper Firmware. Trying to "Flash" your burner with something "Close" won't do it. It must be the exact firmware for your drive. ("Flashing" is what the installation is referred to when you put the firmware into your drive.) Trying to "Flash" your drive with some other drive's firmware can ruin your drive.

At the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your Firmware's health (up-to-date wise). You can probably get a current upgrade there also -

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

Firmware page -

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_all.php

Always check your burner's Mfgr's "Support" section to see if some newer Firmware is there -

Firmware, You can't burn without it -

Now we need to see if we have a working ASPI Layer.

"Yea right, and ASPI stands for Another Stupid Piece of Insanity, right ?"
    "Well that tells me nothing, what's it do ?" That's a much easier question to answer. It is kind of a "translator" allowing your software to talk your hardware in a manner that your hardware will understand. Let's imagine an Earthman trying to talk to a rock. Now, think of a sledgehammer as being the interface. With the interface in play, the Earthman can tell the rock to disperse into gravel no matter what planet the rock is from, OK ? Good, let's see if we have a sledgehammer -

2. Check for your ASPI Layer. If one isn't present, we'll need to get one and reinstall it, then reboot our PC to allow it to "settle in".

ASPI Checker -
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...oduct/EZ-SCSI_5.0&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

Force 1.8 ASPI Layer -

http://forceaspi18.w.interia.pl/

If you've found you need an ASPI layer OR would like some additional information about it - here you go -
    http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

Once we've done that our burning should operate at peak efficiency :D)

I know how it is to get a new PC and load up all our proggys BUT don't forget to run a registry cleaner and set your "Scheduled Task" proggy (the one in "Control Panel") to defrag your HD frequently. When we burn DVD's, we're putting a ton of files on our HD and removing them right away. An average DVD is about 7GB. I've ripped as many as 8 DVD's in 1 evening. When I say I've "ripped" a DVD I mean I've decrypted that DVD and copied it entirely onto my PC, ready to edit then burn. The original no longer needed. All this "On" and "Off" of data will fragment your HD in no time. I run my defragmenter every evening - avoid problems, cleanup after yourself :)

Here's how to find Defrag so it can be run in "Scheduled tasks", Browse for c:\windows\system32\defrag.

Cheers,

Pete

At any rate, Welcome to aD. From one guy who had to be dragged from my beloved Win"98" to XP, all I can say is, "You'll love this OS." There is no "Blue Screen of Death" and since XP manages your resources, you can multi-task, no end. Take your time, check it out. XP blows Win "98" away !

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  4. jahern

jahern Member

Thanks Scuba Pete. I'm at a
    [bold]work[/bold] computer right now so I
    won't be able to test some things, but I
    wanted first of all to say thanks.

Earlier at home I tried some of your
    recommendations. I am not yet aware of
    what firmware to get, since it is impossible
    to tell right now who made the DRIVE. (a
    dvd-rom cdr combo-It doesn't burn dvds. My
    burner is in my older computer until I am
    sure that this machine will do what I need)
    I'm going to call e-maichine support and try
    and tell them some of the things you told
    me. THANKS AGAIN

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

To find out what you have, download Nero's "Info Tool" and it will tell you what you have.

You can also go to Device Manager and checking under your IDE, you'll see what you have also. Me, I like Nero's tool because it tells you a lot, all in one place :D)

http://www.ahead.de/us/631944845473621.html

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Dec 15, 2004
  6. jahern

jahern Member

I think I have all the info that these sources can tell me. It's just that the name of the drive doesn't tell me enough. HL and a bunch of dashes and letters and numbers (If I remember right) I hope to find out more when I call e-machine support

Thanks again