1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the new CloneCD work???

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Odraode, Feb 2, 2005.

1. Odraode

Odraode Member

I bought the new CloneCD suite, the whole shabang, I'm pretty new to it but thought (foolishly) I could figure out how to make it work by reading the online help and/or documentation.
    I was terribly wrong it seems.
    I tried to backup my kid's game CDs with very very poor results.
    I tried downloading Clony XL, XXL, various versions of it.. I read through a couple of threads here (the one about the virtual clone Drive being blacklisted sounded interesting... does that mean that testing the image through it does not give you an idea of what is going to happen once you burn the CD or what..?)
    Is there a user manual with all the different settings I can download somewhere?
    One example, Clony told me the disc I was scanning had only bad sectors here and there and that it was supposedly an easy backup... I created the image with clone CD and tried mounting it with the virtual drive. Result, I got a bunch of audio files instead of the multimedia disk.
    Can someone help me with this.
    Thank you and sorry for the long post.

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

What clonyxxxl does is it tells you the type of protection the game has, I wouldnt use it any more as it's pretty much a dead stick. I would highly recommend A-Ray Scanner v2.0.2.0

http://www.aray-software.com/index.php?showtopic=23

Im not to familiar with clonecd for the simple fact that it blacklisted Safedisc protected games so thats why I dont use it but from what I read the newer version of clonecd took care of this blacklisteing

whay version of clonecd are you running and what game is it that you are trying to backup?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2005
  3. Odraode

Odraode Member

geestar20, thank you for the scanner tip. I had been looking for a different one but TCCD seems to be history and the new version of clony simply tells you what it is you're dealing with not how to deal with it.
    I'm running CloneCD version 5.1.0.0
    The game I'm trying to back up is a slightly battered copy of a kid game for learning timetables (few scratches here and there). Still working OK but I fear not for very long.
    I tried the Aray-Scan... it says there is no protection - Clony kept telling me I was dealing with read errors .. by the way, which profile you think should I use in this case?
    Thanks a lot in advance for any help you could give :)
    have a good day

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

If you have nero you can simply copy the game since there is no protection.

I will download the new versin of clonecd to help out better if you still have issues backing up the game...so I can understand the profiles abit better.

5. Odraode

Odraode Member

Thanks for the tip geestar20
    but I had already tried with Nero.. seems to have a hard time copying the disk.. it simply hangs for ages and keeps notifyng these Fatal Read Errors. After a while I simply cancelled the whole thing because it seemed to be getting nowhere.
    Luckily I always made images of the bugger. If I hadn't done that I would have a whole bunch of coasters by now :)
    I'll try letting Nero go just to see what happens in the end

6. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

use nero express if you havnt done so and uncheck the quick copy box so it can make the image first so you wont waste a disc in case the copy process fails.

7. RedAnt

RedAnt Regular member

Odraode I have had some success with Alcohol 120% and copying some PC Games,at this time it’s a hit and miss type of thing. Check your private messages I sent you some more info.

Redant out

8. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

did you get your game backed up yet -Odraode-?

9. Odraode

Odraode Member

Hi there
    No, I did not get my game backed up yet - Nero just won't do it :(
    By the way [bold]RedAnt[/bold] I tried reading your private msg but i have no private msgs to read.. probably got lost somewhere.
    Well I suppose I will just have to accept the fact i paid for a program that simply does not work - it is kind of annoying but I guess there are worst things in life
    Funny thing is I had absolutely no problem backing up my old securROM protected CD-ROM dictionary and just can't manage to make my son a copy of his disk. Mine had a zillion more skulls in it :)
    By the way, I abuse of your kindness and patience to ask you a couple of questions.
    1) Is the Virtual Clone Drive WYSIWYG? What you see in it is actually what you would get if you burned a disk?
    2) if I burned the image CloneCD produced on a rewritable disk would I get a coaster or could I simply cancel the content and go on trying?
    Thank you for your assistance

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

you also might look at dvd decrypter especially the read and write iso tab which made it very easy for me to backup both my ps2 and pc games

11. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

As -RedAnt- you can try Alcohol 120% to get the game backed up.

Last night i tried backing up a non protected game with the new version of clonecd and all went perfect, try selecting copycd/ Next/ Game CD and make sure you write at 4x, do not select protected cd

12. Odraode

Odraode Member

dear [bold]geestar20[/bold]..
    what can I say, thanks a lot - I feel such a jackass..
    I kept insisting with the protected CD game when all I had to do was to select the CD game option. :)
    Thank you very much. It works just fine now!

13. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

REALLY REALLY glad all worked out for you!

Come back and visit with us to chat in the safety valve or to bring your expeirience to help in different parts in the forums.

Hope to see you around.

Later Skater.

14. Odraode

Odraode Member

[bold]geestar20[/bold] thanks a lot for your precious advice.
    I certainly will stay adound.
    This forum is really great. Just by browsing around I've solved a couple of problems with my DVDs, game CDs, learned a lot about encoding, ripping and much more.
    It's a really great forum (the guides are great too).
    See you soon