1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this site seem "fishy"to you??

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by webe123, Feb 19, 2007.

1. webe123

webe123 Guest

OK, I got this email from this site today....and for all intents and purposes it seems to be a site that sells zipped downloads of full version OEM software. They sell Microsoft products, Adobe products....generally software that sells for hundreds of dollars more than what they are selling it for.

Now I know you can get OEM products much cheaper than you can retail products....but what sounded so "wrong" about this site, was when I read their FAQ and it stated that they gave you NO certificate of authenticity for something like a new version of windows XP.

A few years ago, I purchased an OEM version from a reputable retailer and it DID come with a certificate of authenticity....it came in the form of a small sticker that reads: you are required to affix this certificate of authenticity to the excterior of the pc" and then gave some numbers with it ....so unless the rules have somwhow changed I am wondering if that right there makes this site illegal in the US?

So am I wrong about this site and it being legally able to sell software like this?

Here is the site in question:

http://www.soft-rt.com/

And here is a FAQ where they explain about not giving a certificate of authenticity fora Microsoft product:

http://www.soft-rt.com/faq.php

This what they state on why they do not give out a certificate of authenticity on the site:

If I purchase your Windows or Office software, does it come with the Certificate of Authenticity?
    No. We do not send COA, because its OEM-version. But we send you necessary serial numbers.

It just seems strange that they do not offer vista or office 2007 either and this is the reason they give:

wish buy Windows VISTA and Office 2007. Why you do not have these softwares?
    Windows Vista and Office 2007 have many defects. We do not wish to sell to our clients the unfinished softwares. We sell only full working versions. So we can sell it only 3-6 month letter.

Seems a strange way of doing business. Especially in the US, where the laws are so strict on selling software legally.

Also look at the price for Auto CAD 2007... AutoCAD 2007
    Retail Price: $3999.95
    Our Price: $149.95
    You Save: $3850

You save $3, 850???? Now THAT kinda seems absurd! Like I said, I know you can get OEM cheaper than retail...but I doubt if you can legally get it THAT much cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2007
  2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

soft-rt.com,[221.203.189.107],SOFTHOSTING-DNSD.INFO

listed as a spam domain.

And you post a link to them on here!!??

Folks, don't go there!

I have a funny feeling about your post. You come over all "concerned" about this maybe illegal site, yet you include a link to it and even their phone number and postal address! Just exactly what are you playing at? It's like saying, "I'm really worried about a very filthy book called "Naked Slut Party" which costs $5.99 from Sleaze Publications Inc at 1234 Bluebook Drive, Poughkeepsie or many local outlets."

If you are genuine you will edit out the contact details which are unnecessary anyway. Maybe the moderators would have an opinion?

Another thing, what is this OEM sticker business? I don't see how it can be legally required to fix a sticker on your own computer in your own home. Anybody who wants to make me fix a sticker on my PC and make it look stupid can kiss my, er, well, I won't say here.

How much did they pay you to post on here?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  3. webe123

webe123 Guest

Just EXACTLY waht the HELL are you talking about?? I gave a link because people would not believe me when I said what the site was and they would usually ask for a link, because they would want to know what I was talking about so they could check it out themselves!

I said this because it sounded too good to be true and was thinking of reporting them to the BSA.... because I didn't want other people to get ripped off!

I have nothing to do with this company and was just asking if they were legit! I could care LESS what you THINK!

And since the contact info left you with such a bad rash, I took it out, but don't try to accuse ME of anything, when you don't even know who the hell I am!

You can ALSO FIND THE CONTACT INFO ON THE LINK I GAVE....THE site itself has the contact info on it stupid..... you can look on the site and see it! Next time instead of accusing people of not being on the level, why don't you ASK THEM FIRST!??

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2007
  4. rdmercer1

rdmercer1 Active member

webe123 did you read the tearm and conditions? if you would of read the tearms and conditions you would of known that you should stay away of this site, read this i got this from the site,

Terms and Conditions

PLEASE READ THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY. ORDERING AT THIS WEB-SITE SHALL CONSTITUTE YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF OUR TERMS OF USE AND TO BE BOUND BY THE CONDITIONS OF PURCHASING.

1. Important Information about This Legal Contract

1.1. This Sale Agreement is a legal contract between the Customer and EuroSoftware online store. The Customer accepts this Sale Agreement by making a purchase, placing an order, or otherwise shopping on the Site. (References to "you" or "your" shall relate to the Customer; references to "EuroSoftware" or "Site" or "Store" shall relate to this online store, and its affiliates.) The terms and conditions of this Sale Agreement are subject to change without prior notice, except that the terms and conditions posted on the Site at the time the Customer initially places or modifies an order will govern the order in question.

2. Basic Conditions of Purchasing at EuroSoftware online store

2.1. You are informed that the software is in languages noted on the site or by the Support representative;

2.2. You will thoroughly follow the downloading and installation instructions on your account;

2.3. You cannot register the software with the manufacturer. All updates are available for all the products;

2.4. You do not receive printed license documentation;

2.5. You do not receive a copy of the software on a disk.

2.6. The Store will assist the Customer with downloading and installation issues. We will not provide technical support after the software product is downloaded and installed; neither will it be available from the manufacturer of the software product. We help only with installation and adjustment of the software.

2.7. If you purchase any of the products listed below you confirm that you already have or going to purchase or obtain in any other way CD burning software which support the function of creating image disks. now you should understand you should never buy any thing where you can't register the software with the manufacturer. that should raise a big red flag!

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

They seem to be based in China. "Euro" my a$$.

Those conditions are completely pointless nonsense. How does a probably illegal (in China) Chinese scam operation need any kind of stuff like that anyway?

The relevant part of a tracert on their website

11 144 ms 273 ms 168 ms chinatelecom.GW.opentransit.net [193.251.248.86]
    12 304 ms 180 ms 227 ms 202.97.49.153
    13 409 ms 393 ms 516 ms 202.97.51.165
    14 608 ms 856 ms 678 ms 202.97.33.125
    15 713 ms 690 ms 735 ms 202.97.40.110
    16 670 ms 778 ms 835 ms 202.97.25.109
    17 676 ms 877 ms 744 ms 218.14.111.190
    18 * 755 ms 801 ms 218.14.111.30
    19 593 ms 585 ms 592 ms 125.93.31.178
    20 1137 ms 1018 ms 963 ms 121.36.191.2
    21 1035 ms 1088 ms 943 ms 222.47.1.178
    22 1030 ms 1115 ms 1124 ms 222.47.1.234
    23 1037 ms 1126 ms 1006 ms [final IP snipped]

Found via Google:-

www.soft-rt.com/ - order cheap drugs! www.soft-y.com/ - buy drugs online!

So as well as being SPAMMERS they run dodgy online drug scams from China.

Despite Webe123's abusive and rude reply, I still find it hard to believe he was on the level posting all that data (including a clickable link!). If he was on the level he was very foolish and an apology would be nice.

He was thinking of reporting them to the BSA !!?? Since when did they have jurisdiction in China?

I would not be surprised if following that link led to unprotected PCs being invaded by spyware and ending up as part of a Chinese botnet or spam relay network.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  6. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Don't worry about it, everybody. Microsoft, Adobe, and Autodesk have been notified of this site's activities.

If the original poster was intending to spam or promote bootleg software, he'll find out soon enough that Afterdawn is the LAST place to try that crap.

7. Rikoshay

Rikoshay Regular member

Not that It'll help much, but I also put in a suggestion on SiteAdvisor to have this site tested for anything.