1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doesn't anyone use the guides before posting "how-to" questions?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cryptdigr, Mar 4, 2004.

1. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

@ cdel,

A I/O error while burning means it's most likely the media - there are some TDK that are "Dodgie" - change media for a better grade -

Pete

KaRaCKTeR,

In my guide I say to uncheck verify as it gives too many false readings on Video work -

Burn at 4X otherwise, roll the dice -

Cheers,

Pete

2. cdel

cdel Member

So I've upgraded media, I've now tried Sony, Verbatim, Memorex, as well as my original TDK, and I'm getting the same I/O messages. It doesn't look to me like it's a problem with the media, but I'm not the expert. I get the following I/O message when I try to burn, and it comes in about 3-4 minutes after Decrypter has started burning.

I/O Error!

Device: [0:1:0] SONY DVD RW DRU-530A 2.1G(e:) (ata)

ASPI SRB Status: 0x04
    Interpretation: SRB Completed with error

Host Adapter Status: 0x00
    Interpretation: Host Adapter Did Not Detect An Error

Target Status: 0x08
    Interpretation: Busy

CDB 2A 00 01 39 00 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation: Write (10) - Sectors 80128 - 80519

Sense Area 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: No Additional Sense Information

It's a little different than my previous I/O error messages, but frustrating nonetheless. I have tried evrything in ScubaPete's guide, all to no avail thus far. This is really frustrating, as it seems like I'll never get a movie burned. Help!!!!

3. JPD721

JPD721 Member

cdel,

Normally an I/O Error is a way of displaying a problem your drive had with the disc or your system config (mainly a disc problem though).

Unrecovered read errors, Seek errors, Servo errors, Focusing errors, ECC errors etc. are all your drives way of saying "I don't like this disc".

It seems that you have probably eliminated the media as your source of difficulty, but if you have a friend that has a DVD burner you might want to take some media and successfully burn something so you can be sure. It's a piece of mind thing.

That being said, you need to move on to your config and firmware. I kow your first post said you checked, but logic tells us that it has to be something in that department if it's not the media.

Have you been able to burn anything at all before installing the software you mentioned? It would help to know if your Sony drive has worked in the past or not.

Jim

4. cdel

cdel Member

Well, a successful burn, finally. In fact, a few of them with some higher quality Sony discs. Thanks for all your help, guys, I'll make sure I stick to the higher quality discs.

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

cdel,

Wow, another convert :D)

Now that you're doing well, that doesn't mean it's time for you to up and Ski-dattle - this is a give and take kind of a deal - we had fun helping you, now, the next time, you get to have some fun yourself :)

It's people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and you've seen that we had fun doing it - Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and, a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you'll have a chance to "Welcome" them into our little Club :D

Take a few minutes and check out our opening page. We've got a ton"O"stuff here at aD - Checkout other forums, we have the "Safety Valve" a forum about anything - from "What's bugging you," "Where members come from" OR the best joke you've heard - OR, check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even Cellular phones.

We hope to see you around when you're NOT having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler, under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be lQQking for you -

Sea ya soon,

Pete :b)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  6. Parmenion

Parmenion Member

Just like to say a big thank you to all who contribute to these forums. I have recently bought a dvd burner and having read through posts and guides I am now happily backing up my dvd collection.
    A special thanks to Scubapete for the guides and clear answers to posts.

Thanks.

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

More than glad I could help, Parmenion,

Let's not think about saying "Goodbye" just yet -

We'd still like you to stop by and visit even when you don't have problems you need help with - "Pop" in when you can and cruise around the different forums. You never know when we might have something that can make your computer work a little easier. You might pickup some valuable tips to boot. Checkout the "Safety Valve", it's a place where we "Chew the fat" on just about every topic under the sun. Heck, check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games OR p2p topics.

As an extra added bonus, when you see another person with a problem and you feel you might know something that could help, join in. As the Ogre said to the Cyclops, " Three heads are better than two." (Lol) You'll then see how much fun we have helping others. As a current member of our little club you can welcome the new guys in -

We'll look forward to seeing you. "Me ?" You'll find me hangin' out over there by the water cooler, sittin' under the potted palm with my feet propped up, sipping on a "cold one", waiting for the next "Newbie" with a problem that I can help them with - maybe you'd like to join me . . . ? I'll be lQQkin for you - -

Till then,

I'll be Sea'n you -

Pete ;p)

8. Parmenion

Parmenion Member

Hi Pete,

Meant the last post to be more of a hello and thank you than a goodbye. Will of course be hanging around the forums and I have picked up many tips and tricks already. Only problem is that after looking at the hardware forum I now have an itch to upgrade my pc....
    Any problems I have I will certainly post them safe in the knowledge that sages such as yourself will promtply reply with an answer.
    One problem I have. How do I get my other half to stop buying expensive shoes?
    Or should that be posted in the safety vlave?
    :)

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Parmenion,

Heh, heh, Well now I think you've got the hang of it -

Definatly the "Safety Valve" - iffin you receive an answer, PM me with it, OK

Have a great day,

Pete :)

10. eugeardee

eugeardee Member

I find your site great.
    I used dvddecrypt and dvdshrink and they worked perfectly first time -- beginners luck??
    However, when I next tried to play a bought dvd (regions 2/3/4/5/6/)I was told my drive was set to region 1 (one)even though it was originally set to region 2 where I live. Any thoughts??
    many thanks.
    Eugeardee

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

eugeardee,

12. wnderbrry

wnderbrry Member

ScubaPete - I printed your easy instructions... and they're great! You made burning a DVD become such a simple thing! Because of you, I'm now able to successfully burn my DVDs... Thanks!!!

13. wnderbrry

wnderbrry Member

ScubaPete - Thank you for your guide to backing up DVDs on here! You've made it so simple, and I can now easily burn DVDs. You're great!
    [​IMG]

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Not sure why my post to you didn't show up - must have made an "Oooppps")

eugeardee,

I'm, surprised that it has so many regions on it. Normally it has just one.

As you just purchased it - I would return it for a disc with the proper region on it.

As for your burner, - Go into Device Manager and check your drive's Region setting. Reset it if necessary then select "Apply" or "OK" so that it takes AND, if I were you, I'd reboot your PC
    right away to make sure it takes properly.

Cheers & Best "O" luck,

Pete :)

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

wnderbrry,
    (and you too eugeardee),

Consider this an invitation, stop on back, don't be a stranger, you're welcome even if you don't have problems to solve -
    It's not time to leave just yet, hang out iffin you have the time, snoop around to some of the other forums, checkout the "Safety Valve", there's usually something in the "Wacko" category going on there - OR check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even Cellular phones.

Always feel free to stop back here at "Newbie Central" and pickup a few more pointers or tricks to make your computer work a bit easier ~

(NO, somebody isn't coming by your house to type for you. He's booked up until June, 2009) I was suggesting something in the line of a shortcut we may have come up with (it happens from time to time) OR a new proggy you might want to try - Ya never know . . . .

We'll lQQk for you later, OK ?

Till then, Sea Ya ~ ~>

Pete :D)

16. eugeardee

eugeardee Member

Pete
    Thanks for reply re regions. I had by then restored my computer to region 2.
    What worries me is this: any time I use decrypt & shrink will I find my region changed again to 1. And there are only a limited number (5?)of times I am allowed to change region after which I may find myself marooned forever in region 1!
    Does either of the above-mentioned programs automatically force the newly burned disc into region 1?
    I am afraid to do another burn!!
    The burned child fears the fire!!
    Thanks for your interest and help.
    Eugeardee

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

eugeardee,

Fear not the flame little one ~ For I, the fire God has spoken to the nasty 'ole burner and have ordered it to behave. Ye shall not be afraid, the region shall remain the same and there will be peace throughout the land.

Should the region change, I have ordered quick retribution and the changer's head will anoint my staff for all to see -

Head now - into the warm night, peaceful dreams await and the Fire God watches over you ~ ~ :D)

18. eugeardee

eugeardee Member

Pete
    Everything came to pass as you said -- no return to strange region. The burner behaved itself perfectly. It was probably terrified to do otherwise.
    As we would say here 'togha fear'!
    My thanks to great guru.

Eugeardee

19. JPD721

JPD721 Member

Pete,

I'm beginning to wonder if you don't actually have some serious mojo working!

Don't let it go to your head ;)

Jim

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Never fear small ones,

The ScubaPete watches over you and will save you from the evil that lurks in the hearts of MPAA and the "Gremlins" who terrorize our backup proggys -

Pete