1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dogs, opinions wanted on different breeds.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by darthnip, Apr 30, 2005.

1. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Love the weenie dog Mbrock I own a mini and he is a joy, however they are prone to back problems I just ended up paying $1500 for back surgery on my 5 yr old dachsie. I also just paid $800 for surgery on my shepherd, who is named Arniebear. Having pets that you love can be an expensive enterprise, but then they give so much happiness we owe to them to keep them well.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

2 arniebears in this world, heaven help us. does the arniebear dog look like the arniebear human???

3. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Actually the Arniebear dog is much better looking, and definitely has more hair.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  4. Mbrock

Mbrock Member

Weiner dogs can have back problems but with a little extra care you shouldn't have any problems. Just don't let them jump from high places or run up and down the stairs.

After having a dachshund for the past two years, I will never have any other type of dog

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

What kind of a parent would I be if I didn't include our kid’s photos as well?!?!?!?

It's obvious that we all love our "Kid's" very much, Kid’s for Life!!! :)

[​IMG]
    Buddy and Mickey

On the chair is my oldest to the left, 15 ½ year old Buddy and next to him is Mickey who passed away last June and was 14 plus years old. Since Buddy has lost most of his hearing and his site is very poor as well now, he would bark continuously when we weren’t home searching for his little brother Mickey or us. It was taking a toll on him so we adopted, for life, Nikki 7 years and Willie 6 years. They had to be adopted as a pair since they were together also since puppies.
    [​IMG]
    Willie

[​IMG]
    Nikki

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  6. Mrs_Taz

Mrs_Taz Member

Personnaly I prefer the Weiner dog but anyone got any ideas on how to stop the ears falling out of the side of the sandwich....

7. ddp

eat them 1st than the weiner

8. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

have taz let you out of your cage and come over so we can start your training on how to eat a weiner :)

9. Mrs_Taz

Mrs_Taz Member

Escaped the cage - on my way hehehe

10. darthnip

shhh, sneak out quietly while he's a sleep! i dont need a taz messing up the housing, plus they slobber and i cant be bothered with that mess ;)

11. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Member

also have a look at alaskan malamutes, elkhounds, belgian sheepdogs, Setters (irish ones are beautiful dogs with loving temprament), retrivers, labrodors, Weimaraner (great family dog), collie (lassie), border collie (the dogs in babe), Saluki, Shiloh Shepherds (gorgeous http://www.shilohshepherds.org/), and Sheltie.

some of the above mentioned breeds are either hard to come by, expensive, or often named something else. your best bet is to take a look for some pics and when looking at dogs, compare details.

for a personal favorite, but not a spitz or really that big, i like staffordshire bullterriors, rhodesian ridgebacks, basenjis and pharoh hounds.

also, Doggy_Bot, dont judge a book by its cover. dobermanns, rotties, mastiffs, bulldogs, terriers...all these breeds have a TERRIBLE reputation. its because they are the breeds used in dog fights and they are the big scary dogs the the movies stereotype. i know lots of people who have owned all these breeds and have small children and have never ever had a problem. some, like mastiffs, just ADORE the attention kids give them. like any breed of dog, its how they are raised and treated that makes it dangerous. unless you've personally been in contact with one of these breeds and been bitten by more than the one dog you may have come across, please dont rule them out. having said that, i know some states in america ban certain above mentioned breeds, but that is more to the amount of dog fight rings rather than the amount of attacks on people.

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  12. Bubba1982

Bubba1982 Regular member

[​IMG]
    Anyways. I would recomend a staffordshire bull terrier. They are well know to be one of the best family dogs around. Heres a pic of my staffy from a few years ago. Also, I had to post the above pic for Mrs Taz. Hehe
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  13. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

@darthnip

Don't know if you have made a decision yet, but I don't think you could go wrong at all with the Akita. Both of my sons have Akitas and they are great dogs -- very loyal to the owner and a good family pet. My older son's dog is Keanu (10 years old & 90 lbs) and he also has a Sherba Inu (sp?). This dog is from the Akita family and Shala looks like a 3/4 size Akita. My younger son's Akita is Kado and he is 4 years old and weighs about 110 pounds. One is an American breed and the other is Japanese breed -- can't rember which is which. I think the American breed is the smaller one. They are all great pets. The biggest downside to the Akita is they shed hair -- really bad twice a year when their coats change. Kado lived with me a couple of years before my son bought a house and we had to vacumn every 3-4 days. I would post a picture of Kado, but I can't figure out how to post it.

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  14. darthnip

thanks to all for your input! I know for sure i want an Akita, the problem is just finding one. I dont like the idea of having a dog shipped on a plane, so i have to find a pup within driving distance. I'm prepared to go 400-500 miles if needed, but i just heard from a lady only 40 minutes from me that is planning a litter this summer so i'm excited about that, i'll be going to see the parent dogs soon. I'll be sure and bring this thread back to life with puppy pics after i get a pup. thanks again, and lets keep the "doggie" thread going!

15. Mrs_Taz

Mrs_Taz Member

So all I have to do is eat the puppies ...Cool....Bubba I love you :)

16. ddp

blackmail material mrs taz!!!

17. Mrs_Taz

Mrs_Taz Member

awww Shucks - i love you too ddp :)

18. ddp

wait til mr taz finds out than he'll do all 3 of us in!!!

19. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

I've got an Afghan and a Whippet -- I love dogs that control their own eating (==you simply keep food in the cup and leave it in the cup for 24/7, just fill when they're empty, no feeding times needed, as they'll never finish everything within 5mins after putting food in the cup). And ye, both are Fast =) But get Afghan only if you have way too much spare time to comb through the hair at least once a week (takes about 2-4 hours). I'd love to get a Saluki tho (looks exactly the same as Afghan and has pretty much the same "cat-like" attitude, where dog's only purpose in life is NOT to please his/her master, but to be more independent), but two is enough. And no, my dogs don't bark. Afghan, who is now 9 years old, has barked last time probably once in summer 2003 or so.. They just think its waste of energy :)

Oh yes, Afghans and Salukis both reach easily 14-17 years of age, no inherited diseases (==not too common, breeding hasn't spoiled the breed yet).

Just my opinion, of course.

20. Mrs_Taz

Mrs_Taz Member

Nah - Taz knows he's No 1 Lover :) (next to the weiner)