1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolby Digital (AC3) sound through Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Audio' started by pds999, Nov 27, 2008.

1. pds999

pds999 Member

I often download films as avi's and some come encoded with Dolby Digital (AC3) sound. Assuming I have a soundcard with an optical output (i.e. SoundBlaster Xi-Fi Titanium), will Windows Media Player automatically output the sound in Dolby Digital format if I connect my soundcard to my Dolby amp with a toslink cable? If not, how do I ensure dolby digital sound gets through to my amp?

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

3. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hi Cyprusrom:

Looks like I need your help again. I think I have the right codec for my movie. It is an avi with ac-3 audio (dolby). However, my Windows Media Player will play the video but no sound. I can listen to the audio if I place it in my ConvertXtoDVD - so the audio track is there.

I have an Audigy SE 24-bit sound card just installed.

I gather from your notation -- AC3Filter v1.51a - this is the filter I need in order for Windows Media Player 11 or Media Center 2005 (SP2)?

On the download page, what do I download. There is lots of info and if I click on "source code" it takes me to another page with lots more info. Where's the download button?!

Thanks,

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

[​IMG]

Another option would be to install ffdshow .

5. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hi cyprusrom:

I think my computer has tired me out! How I missed that BIG green button ... you must be just thinking she must be blind as a bat! I'm much better with maps -- believe or not!

Yes, thank you. I've downloaded the filters and they work! I now can hear sound and video.

Many thanks,

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

LOL,
    Don't know, maybe you need to get off FaceBook, Solitare or something, for a while:)!

Believe me, I have missed giant buttons myself on occasions, too busy looking for the little stuff!

Glad you got all working.
    Cheers!

7. katydidit

katydidit Member

Hi cyprusrom:

No too old for chat rooms. I've been editing and fixing too many old radio shows.

Like you said we look for the small stuff even though the HUGE BIG green button was right in front of me.

Thanks again,