1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don’t fall for this SCAM!

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by 2oldGeek, Jul 19, 2013.

1. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Last week, while in my computer room, my phone rang and the caller ID showed: 1073 unknown number. I don’t answer calls like that, just let the answering machine get it and if I know them I pick up.

My wife had picked up the phone in another room and came in to tell me that Microsoft was on the phone about a problem in our computer.. I said, Microsoft!? Microsoft don’t call anyone! Just hang up…. NO! Wait. I’ll talk to them… That little devil had poked me and I thought: I’ll have some fun with this dirtbag. Hehehe

I answered the phone and it was a female with a very strong Indian accent telling me that I had been hacked and had a very bad infection in my computer that was showing up at Microsoft. While she was talking I kept saying Huh? What? Repeat please.. Then said I’m sorry but I can’t understand you, do you have someone that speaks English better? She said, I get my supervisor… A male voice came on with a little less accent and said that he could help me clean and secure my computer. He said to go to AMMYY.COM (ammyy.com is remote control software) I told him that my computer wasn’t running, that I would start it. I already knew what he was going to do, so I rebooted a computer, that I knew had no sensitive data in it, into a virtual machine, Deep Freeze, and allowed him to gain access to it. I played extremely DUMB and was able to carry him on for about 45 minutes. He took me to the event viewer which always has thousands of error listings in it and tried to convince me that they were worms and I was badly infected….. After I told him what I thought of his Scam (can’t repeat it here. Lol) he hung up. Check out this Scam here and don’t give anyone control of your computer. Microsoft or anyone else WILL NOT CALL YOU!!! Unless they are scamming you for a credit card # to clean you out…. See here ->

http://www.ammyy.com/en/admin_mu.html

2oG

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

had those lots of times including 1 yesterday. i had 1 guy swear at me as he was hanging up. had 2 customers get suckered in on this scam, 1 was able to cancel his card right away but they did mess up his windows which i had to eventually reload. the other paid them $200 even tho i just reloaded her computer 2 weeks before. read these.
    http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/1998853-fraud-artist-targets-midland-resident/

June 28, 2012 at 8:59 am
    Don’t fall for fake ‘Microsoft tech support” phone call scam
    By Marc Saltzman
    From the mailbag: “People are calling me and pretending to be Microsoft. What’s going on?”

Scam artists work in many different ways.
    In the digital age, it’s incredibly convenient for a computer-savvy thief to blast millions of email addresses at the same time – be it a phony story about an inheritance or a “phishing attempt” trying to lure you to an authentic looking website – so even if a small and naive group take the bait it can pay off in a big way.
    Same goes for those pop-up windows you might see when you’re browsing the web: scammers can infect many millions of computers with these fake Windows warnings about a virus — and of course you need to buy something to fix your computer.
    But we’re now seeing good old fashioned phone-based scams, even though there’s a high-tech angle.
    In case you haven’t yet experienced this, many Canadians are receiving phone calls from someone who claims they’re from Microsoft and they say something like “I’m calling for Microsoft. We’ve had a report from your internet service provider of serious virus problems from your computer. Can I help?”
    The person on the phone will tell them the problem is serious and they could be without Internet access if the issue isn’t solved. And so the computer owner is directed to a website to purchase software.
    In some cases, the victim is also instructed to download a program that hands over remote control of the computer, and the caller installs various “fixes” for the problem. The PC user has now given a complete stranger access to every piece of data on their computer.
    Canadian businesses have received a similar call on both landlines and mobile phones, claiming they’re from “Microsoft Technical Support” and they’ve been asked to follow up about a reported problem. Anecdotally, I’ve received this one three times so far this year.
    The people calling who claim to be from Microsoft often have a thick accent. UK’s The Guardian has reported most of these scams originate out of India.
    Microsoft, of course, denies any connection with the companies that call people to offer antivirus services. On its website, Microsoft claims: “Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls to help you fix your computer. If you receive an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft Tech Support, hang up. We do not make these kinds of calls.”

3. attar

attar Senior member

I get calls from 'Kevin' at Microsoft all the time.
    He told me that the corporate motto was 'We treat you like cattle' so I hung up.

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I gave him control of a Virtual Machine and carried him on for about 45 minutes.. he was very pissed and it did my heart good.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  5. aldan

aldan Active member

i like to keep these assholes on the line just as long as i can,waste as much of their time as i can before i tell them to take a hike.

6. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

someone i know recently had 1 call claiming the work computer was broken and needed fixing.he said give me your name and your companies number and i will have my manager ring you back.they hung up straight away.

i had a m8 years ago they use to get scam calls all the time from women in india,he use to try and chat them up and usually got them off the phone within a number of minutes.

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

8. aldan

aldan Active member

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

LOL You are almost as evil as I....

10. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

what i would like to know is how they are getting peoples personal info???.any idea???

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

It’s really easy to get info from a phone number---
    Go here and enter your area code and number and see what pops up:

http://www.whitepages.com/reverse_phone

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  12. Mez

Mez Active member

I have never had that call but it does not surprise me.