1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DON'T be conned into BUYing from Model-gadget/KlickStore.com; EMAILs and/or FOUL LANGUAGE = BAN

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by GodzD, Nov 28, 2007.

1. sp1981

sp1981 Guest

I am another one like you guys...with Model-Gadget.
    I ordered "R4DS - V2 + micor sd 2gb card" on the 7th july and nothing has turned up. Not even a confirmation e-mail. Despite using some all of the contact details kindly provided on this thread and using the "ticket" system on Model-Gadget's website, I still have had no joy.

Money has taken of my credit card via WorldPay but WorldPay's webiste says they dont take any responsibiliy as they only do transaction.

2. joelralph

joelralph Member

I think it is time for me to also send a recorded letter to the registered office demanding money back.

This is becoming a royal pain in the $%&!

No doubt the only replies we will get back are that the company has entered administration or something to that effect and we will have lost our money.

But hey, it's worth a try.

3. guyhood

guyhood Member

8 months on and these idiots are still at it. Well I learned my lesson I'll not use these muppets again and I warned others not to use them. I got my R4 after 6 weeks of waiting last xmas. To the people still getting hassle just take the time to drag the name of model-gadget through the mud as you go.

4. joelralph

joelralph Member

I just want to inform people that sending a letter works.

I sent a letter yesterday, and received an email today telling me it would be with me on Tuesday.

Of course, I have replied and said I want a refund as I can get it cheaper elsewhere, but just so you know, if you send a letter to the Doshi & Co address, you will receive a reply.

This is what I received

Hi,
    My apology for this late reply. your order of R4DS &2GB microSD was shipped to the wrong end of customer. I have re-arrange a new item to be ship out for you on monday morning and you hsould rceeive it by tuesday.
    thanks,
    Mike.
    support

5. joelralph

joelralph Member

He replied to me with this

hi,
    can i offer you an additional free 1gb microsd card on top as a compensation for your distress over the long wait?.
    if you agree, i will ship your order out with additional 1gb micro sd card on monday for you.
    thanks,
    mike.
    support

I told him I am not interested, I just want my money back.

Email sales@consolepc.com as that is the one he is emailing me with and replying to.

We may get somewhere yet.

6. joelralph

joelralph Member

7. gash1

gash1 Member

I just got the same email as Joelralph and so I now will see if I get the order or my money back or neither!
    At least it is heartening that someone is now replying so we may get something after all.

8. joelralph

joelralph Member

@gash1

if I were you (and me of course) I would be asking for a refund rather than letting them get away with this.

I just posted a website that has the R4DS for a lot less, and believe it or not, it is also available on amazon for around the same price as that other site.

I would suggest you follow my lead, and just demand a refund.

He could offer you the world, but as long as he still has your money, he is being allowed to treat us like **** and get away with it.

He told me he would send my order on Monday, but as I explained to him, it was a birthday gift, and the birthday was over a week ago.

I am just going to get my money back, and buy it from amazon or that other site I just gave, and give it to her late.

In the end, all I will have to wait is an extra week after they get their **** together. It is more than worth it for sticking it to a bad trader, not to mention the £15+ I will save by buying it from another source (R4+2GB Card)

I am not telling you what to do or anything, I just feel that maybe me explaining my opinion and the reason why I am demanding a refund will make you think it is a good idea.

9. grihn

grihn Member

Using the "sales@consolepc.com" address, I've also asked for a refund. I'm in a similar position to joelralph in that the R4 adapter was purchased as a gift for someone and unfortunately I've had to get something else instead. I think it's entirely reasonable to make this request and if Model-Gadget fail to oblige then they are just going to cause themselves more damage and lost sales as their name continues to be dragged through the mud. We need to send a clear signal that lousy customer service is not to be tolerated!

10. grihn

grihn Member

I received a reply from Model-Gadget to my e-mail requesting a refund, of sorts. It looks as if my e-mail has been turned into one of their useless "tickets" and hasn't been replied to. I wrote again to demand a refund and if I don't get a proper reply this time then I'm definitely going to Trading Standards and take legal advice. They've had enough chances to fix things....

11. varnull

varnull Guest

As consumers champion.. again.. I post the relevant info for the relevant trading standards department to contact..

http://www.touchlondon.co.uk/business/list/bid/4180043

write or phone.. as usual with the UK it's not easy...

congrats to Phix Clothing for resolving all their postal problems BTW.. well done ;)

12. joelralph

joelralph Member

Well, I received an email yesterday saying my order has been "despatched" despite saying I just wanted a refund, so we will see what arrives.

If the R4 arrives, I will just wait until Thursday which was the deadline I gave for a refund, before sending yet another recorded delivery letter if my refund doesn't arrive.

This has to be quite possibly the worst experience I have ever had shopping online.

13. proff999

proff999 Member

Why is it that people continue to order products from this "Seller" . I had problems at christmas and waited 3 months to finally get my item delivered. As I bonus my bank had already given me my money back. This has to be one of the longest threads regarding poor customer service. Incredibly, When buyers are finally sent their items they go on to praise model gadget or "moon" and just accept the crap they have been fed for months.

I would imagine that the model gadget team have gone on their holidays again and have not informed anyone of this. As for trading standards, I would imagine they would have a dim view on what is basically a device that allows/encourages copyright theft.

14. joelralph

joelralph Member

Well, I am buying the R4 to watch videos and play mp3s.

hardly a copyright infringement to buy something that makes your DS work like an ipod.

If it plays DS games, then that is just an unexpected feature

15. kingrico

kingrico Regular member

It's not really too good for videos or mp3's in my opinion.

The screen is a bit small really and doesn't render at a particualrly high quality. And it's a bit chunky for an mp3 player.

You're probably best off fighting to get a refund and investing in a decent mp3/mp4 player if your true intention is to listen to music or watch video. Then just keep the ds as a dedicated gaming machine.

Best,

R

16. portion

portion Member

I have also recieved a email from 'mike' with a helpdesk ticket number for my order. but no actual actions. I have replyed to him stating i want a refund. As, like many of you, i ordered from dealextreme, and although it was sent all the way from hong kong, it got here in one week, and was loads cheaper that model-gadget.

@ Proff999 :
    I understand your comment about why people keep ordering from him. but he is listed as an official distributor on the M3 website ( M3 is the alternative R4 card ), so as far as any newbs are concerned, he is official. I actually ordered from him one year ago, twice, and both times the goods arrived within one week. But the real problem is the lack of communication.

also, if this R4 product is seen as 'a device that allows/encourages copyright theft. ' would that also mean that Blank DVD's, CD's and blank audio tape ( yes some people still sell it ! ) are also seen as devices that allow/encourage copyright theft. ?

please don't think i am starting a flamewar, as i do see your point on the fact that it does allow piracy. but consider that in Hong Kong, over 90% of DS owners are using these cards. many of these users dont even understand that they are pirates ! they just buy the card, with a 'pre-loaded' memory card from any market trader in the country. then they just buy more 'pre-loaded' memory stick when they want more games. This is Nintendo's problem, as normal non-pirate type people, who would normally but the games properly, are buying these pre-loaded cards, thinking they are paying their money to nintendo. hence Nintendo are losing a good chunk of cash, so they have really started trying to fight these cards. ( does anyone remember the 'super-magicom' ? it was a copy device that sat in the cart slot for a SNES, then it copied any cartridge game onto about 4 or 5 floppy disks, which you could then load onto the SNES! it was fantastic, and you didn't see nintendo kicking up about it, because only people who understood what they were doing could use it.

anyway, enough rant ! here's hoping i get my refund !!!

17. joelralph

joelralph Member

Well, on here, we all know that I wouldn't be buying it for mp3s/videos, but when it comes to trading standards, as long as I act naive and describe it as a music/video player that is similar (yet better value as it plays video) to the one sold in argos, I don't see there would be too many issues with a complaint to them.

I have emailed them again, to tell them I still expect my refund by the 31st, and I have also said that if the email I received saying my order was despatched means they despatched the card, they must add an extra £5.95 (their postage charge) so I can pay to return the card.

They have updated the site quite a bit actually, and I have noticed a few changes to their returns policy, it's just a shame that I didn't save a copy of the page before it was changed, because now it states they won't give refunds.

I will just wait and see, in the end, I have a right as a consumer to cancel my order at any time up to 7 days after receiving the order, and as I told them I wanted to cancel before they even despatched the order, I don't see there would be any issues as to whether they can decide to refund me or not.

18. proff999

proff999 Member

All that I was saying regarding trading standards is that they have been busting an awful lot of suppliers of these kind of cards and modchips. I would know as my mate was busted for supplying wiikeys and also the toptoy DS cards. He didn't offer any kind of "Modding" service, He simply imported them and sold them on. He has now had his assets seized pending a full investigation. Mr Modchips was also done for supplying modchips, This may be a little different to the DS cards but I'm sure trading standards wouldn't see it that way.After all Mr Modchips argued that the chips simply allowed the playing of "Back-ups" of software that the user had already legally purchased. See below.

A man trading under the name of Mr Modchips has been convicted of distributing and selling illegal technology that enables games console users to play illegally copied DVDs and CDs.

Neil Stanley Higgs of Speedwell Road, Bristol became only the second person in the UK to be found guilty of the crimes.

Higgs set up his business in 2002 and it is estimated he enjoyed a turnover of £1m by the time the offences were uncovered, with an estimated 3,700 Executor modchips being found.

Higgs was found guilty of 26 offences under Section 296ZB of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act – an amendment to the 1988 act that came into force in 2003 to tackle the rise in chipping offences.

The 39-year-old was also found guilty on three counts of advertising, supplying and selling a modification chip.

Higgs was also convicted of another 11 counts of possessing Executor modchips for Microsoft consoles and Viper GC chips for Nintendo consoles.

Higgs’ operation was tracked down by Bristol City Council’s Trading Standards after the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA) found illegal chips and modification equipment being sold through his websites.

Trading Standards officers and ELSPA investigators led a raid on 19 January 2006, searching his parents’ flat above shops in Speedwell Road where nine computers were seized.

The team examined over 200,000 emails on the computers at the flat to harvest the evidence presented to the Crown Court during the two week trial.

"This case today sets a major precedent in the fight against piracy, protecting the games industry’s investment in fantastic games," said Michael Rawlinson, managing director of ELSPA.

"It sends a clear message to anyone tempted to become involved in chipping consoles that this is a criminal offence and will be dealt in the strongest possible way."

Rawlinson said ELSPA’s anti-piracy team was now prioritising the modification of consoles in its fight against piracy.

Following a unanimous guilty verdict by the jury, Higgs' lawyers asked for leave to appeal, which was granted by the judge.

A financial investigation under the Proceeds of Crime Act is currently underway and could lead to the confiscation of any of Higgs’ assets that are ruled to have been illegally obtained

19. proff999

proff999 Member

Guilty of misinformation, Sorry.

In a surprise move for the UK legal system, the Court of Appeal ruled that mod chips designed for games consoles do not contravene the 1988 Copyright, Designs and Patent Act (2003 Amendment). Accordingly, the charges levelled against Neil Stanley Higgs - for which he was found guilty six months ago - have been quashed on appeal and he was awarded full costs.

Mod chips are hardware modification boards that by-pass the copy protection systems of the console, and thus enable people to make unrestricted backups of the discs they own. However, it is plain that such a facility is sometimes abused and game piracy through the illegal distribution of the disc images is not uncommon. For this reason the games console manufacturers are consistently against their manufacture and use.

Following his earlier conviction for importing the hardware, Higgs - trading under the name of 'Mr ModChips' - had argued that any copyright infringement was carried out by the person copying the original disc and not by the hardware modification itself. As an analogy, Higgs claimed he was no more responsible for infringing copyright than, for example, Dell would be if someone made a backup of a copyright movie using one of their laptops.

Interestingly, the Italian and Australian courts have made similar rulings in the past, but later changed the law to make them illegal.

20. portion

portion Member

ok, i have recieved an email agaimn from Mike offering the same thing ( an R4 card with an extra 2 gig memory stick for the long wait ) i have told him i wil laccept this, so lets see if it does turn up on thursday as promised.

Interesting read on the R4 cards from prof999, i think i might get into importing these cards. , , , ,