1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Buy AMD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by halodude7, Feb 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halodude7

halodude7 Guest

Don't buy AMD processors. They eat your motherboard.
    I had an Athlon 3400+ X2, and one morning I awoke to find that my processor, fan, and heatsink were all black. I took the motherboard off, and underneath, there was a large black spot. The spot was where the processor was. I took off the heatsink, and the processor was fried to a crisp. It had also fried my motherboard, too. My 2 SLI chips were ruined!!!!! Now, i have an Intel P4 HT 3.4GHz. It is fine.
    DON'T BUY AMD!!!!!!

2. Destra

Destra Regular member

I have only ever had AMD (since the AMD 486) and never had any problems. Probably the cheap MB didn't have an auto shutoff feature for when your CPU fan died and the CPU overheated.

3. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi, sorry about your loss ;^(
    That sucks eh... Did you leave it on overnight? Geez, you're lucky you didn't have a fire!
    I doubt you had an Athlon x2 64 chip though, they have really very sophisticated thermal management (much better than old ie. Thunderbird, which had basically none!)
    The smallest x2 64 is XP3800+ model.
    But yes, if you have a catastrophic cooling failure (and have not CYA) the result can be - a catastrophy!
    To CYA you need to think professional, pro stuff is all alarmed and set (in BIOS) to shutdown on cooling failure, and more importantly the coolers are well-maintained.
    You wouldn't believe some of the trashed CPU coolers I've seen! Really bad.
    Tom's Hardware did the famous test where the AMD would burst into flames, LoL, first the cooler was disabled, then Windows crashed, then yikes!
    The Pentium just kept running with no cooler, it clocked itself down (thermal emergency!) but you couldn't really tell, Windows didn't even crash. Amazing.
    I remember thinkng: I wonder how many Pentium users there are out there whose computers are running 'slow'... meanwhile their CPU coolers have all secretly expired, LoL :^)
    But I agree with Destra, and I hope halodude you will come back to AMD again - they have made great strides in this area and new models are much improved.
    NOTE: tell me details! If you had a modern S939 nVidia nForce4 Ultra SLI motherboard with dual-core Athlon64 CPU, that shouldn't happen at all. You can set that to alarm, and then to shutdown.
    L8R

4. pcrepair

pcrepair Regular member

you can turn computers off?
    darn mine never goes off
    my son says it prevents chip creak if you leave it on
    seriously must have been a shock to find it burnt out mine is alarmed to prevent that happening good luck with your new one

5. SypherTek

SypherTek Guest

@ halodude7

you must have bought one cheap ass motherboard for that to have happened, either that or you didnt install your fan properly. my motherboard isnt exactly brilliant but it has an auto shut off feature for overheating and other failures

i very much doubt the AMD chip is to blame.. ive seen the exact same thing happen to intel processors before now, besides intel run hotter than AMD

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2006
  6. halodude7

halodude7 Guest

My motherboard was a $250 Chaintech! I don't consider that cheap, but I did get an Intel motherboard that was on sale on a website. It cost $230, but it was like 40% off. I guess that's a lot more expensive. I also got a huge fan and heatsink.

My AMD was a 3800+. I had purchased a 3400+ to replace it, but I never did.

7. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

What do u mean by 2 sli chips were ruined if it ruined ur graphics cards (im gussing) then i would say motherboard issue rather than AMD issue mate.

8. halodude7

halodude7 Guest

When the CPU fried, it also fried the motherboard, destroying anything on it (RAM, harddrive, dvd drive, PCI devices). Amazingly, the fan was still spinning when I found out. My PSU was not damaged at all. Plus, my XPS 600 has 2 3.8 GHz P4s and it hasen't Overheated at all.

9. NJman

NJman Member

so are you saying that the AMD processor you were using at the time the burned was a 3800+ X2 or a 3400+. And i highly doubt it was the Processor that started the damage. My guess would be taht something shorted out or the motherboard never turned off.

10. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

Everything you said was unfounded. Have you ever actually taken time to explore what type of processor you have? Have you ever taken time to explore what the differences are between AMD and Intel? I think your post should be closed and you learn what you are talking about before you post.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  11. wdowsing

wdowsing Regular member

i highly doubt that the cpu would do all the damage u have surgested purhaps this should be moved to safety valve.

12. MaZeRsX

MaZeRsX Member

ROFLMFAO I don't think you have a comp like that and it burns out everything unless u overclock or something cause i have amd forever......... and your mad lying Dell XPS 600 (Custom)
    (2) 3.8 GHz Intel Pentium 4 HT Dual Core CPUs
    XFX nVidia nForce4 SLI GPU w/ 1GB RAM
    Intel XD955X Motherboard
    4GB DDR2 PC3200 RAM
    (2) 500GB RAID 0 Hard Drives
    Windows XP Professional x64

theres no such things as 4GB DDR2 PC3200 RAM its only PC4200 and up

13. Distorded

Distorded Regular member

What is this person doing to AD? I think he/she is working for Intel.

14. ozzymary

ozzymary Guest

i have an amd athlon 2400+ its a 2.0 ghz in my compaq works great........i wonder if i have that auto shutoff feature . how do i find out.they say amd runs real hot ??????? i wonder what manufacture the board is also .it looks to me to be an atx but cant figure the man.

15. banshee07

banshee07 Member

should have seen his sig before he changed it. he had ddr 900 and had spent 42,000 on his puter..

16. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@halodude7 -

- yes AMD chips run hot but if an AMD cpu went up in smoke it would burn your whole PC and your house too, not just selected components. Next time there's a lightning strike overhead, don't dangle your PC out of the window.

How about you buy a fire extinguisher, oh and your thread is more suited to Aesop's Fables than on a tech forum

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.