1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont Know Administrator Password for Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by johnc1234, Feb 19, 2008.

1. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

A friend has recently asked me to have a look at his laptop which he has recently got hold of. He has an account 2 accounts on the laptop, his account which is limited and an administrator account.

He knows the password for his account, but not for the administrator. He would like to access the administrator account so he can promote his account to administrator level too. His account is so limited he can not even access the Control Panel :-|

If any one knows away of resetting the administrator accounts password, or any other helpful solutions/methods, please post in this forum.

Yes I have tried looking around but sites say that I need to install software to a floppy disk, this laptop does not support floppy disks. Or they say that I need to reinstall the operating system, I would consider doing this at a very last resort.

Any help appreciated,, FANKS :D

2. johnc1234

johnc1234 Regular member

Apologies for posting this thread as I have solved my problem after a couple of hours of research. If anybody else has had this problem I will tell you my solution to it in this thread.

I used a software called "NT pw & Registry Editor", can be found by searching on google. I downloaded the .iso file and burned it to a disc with "IMGBurn" again can be downloaded by searching on google. once I burned the .iso to disc I set my system to boot from disc in the BIOS and then started up the programme, I followed the instructions on the programme and it took me to a point where it asked me what user account I want to change the password for, then it asked me do I want to clear my password or wipe the password. I chose to wipe the password and then ended the programme by pressing ctrl alt and delete. and then when I got to the log on screen I ttyped in the administrator and just pressed enter with out inserting a password and it logged me on. :D

SOLVED