1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DONT KNOW HOW 2 BURN HELP

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sonyk35, Feb 6, 2005.

1. sonyk35

sonyk35 Member

hello i have wasted 4 disc already trying 2 burn dvd.
    i use nero i copy the dvd and then it tells me to put in a disc. and i did then like 20 mins after it says its complete then i open the disc it says its blank but then when i go to nero to check the disc it says it has 4.1gb in it but i cant use the disc in any way

2. brobear

brobear Guest

Saying you use Nero is about like a car owner saying he has a GM. Which one? In your case, which program in the Nero suite are you using to record?

What are you trying to record, what are you trying to decrypt it with and which program are you using to encode? You may find the following info helpful.

Info for beginners: (I'll mention a few popular programs, but there are others of these types.)
    Backing up factory DVD movies has 3 basic steps and a few things to remember.
    The steps are:
    1)Decrypt/deCSS;
    One could add edit, but that isn't always necessary.
    2)Encode/Transcode (Fit to the target disc, shrink when necessary);
    3)Burn.

You can have one program that does it all, some programs do a couple of the steps and some only do one step or one step at a time.

Decrypting can be done with driver type decrypters like AnyDVD or with apps such as DVD Decrypter or DVD Shrink.

DVD Decrypter is used to decrypt and rip files to the (HD) hard drive. If DVD Decrypter is going to be used as a burner, 2 important things have to be remembered.
    1)Use the ISO read mode to decrypt and
    2)the file size has to be below 4.37 (GB) gigabytes.
    If the file is above 4.37GB, DVD Decrypter cannot burn the ISO file to a 4.7GB disc. [Note: 4.7 is a retail designation for a disc; the actual size of a 4.7 disc that a computer reads is 4.37GB.] File size is important to know.

DVD Shrink can be used to decrypt and rip to the HD. Normally though, Shrink is used to decrypt a disc, using a temporary file, and transcoding the file in preparation to be burned. Nero isn't part of Shrink, but is the default app that Shrink uses to burn automatically. Shrink can also use DVD Decrypter in ISO burn mode and CopytoDVD can also be used. I suggest Nero, as DVD Shrink is already set to use it.

There are a number of transcoding programs, browsing the forums can get a lot of info on those. It's already been mentioned what they do. Just remember, simply speaking, this step is to prep the file for burning.

There are a number of apps on the market now. Due to laws, most of the popular recording programs now are trancoding and burning programs. These recording programs have to have a decrypter. With a driver type decrypter the program runs as though it was one of the older ripper programs that did everything. With the manual type decrypters the files are ripped to the HD and the file then has to be opened by the recording program.

Burner or recording programs are either incorporated into programs or are separate in recording suites. I mentioned Nero as it is a favorite on many forums and a favorite of mine. There are others. I find CopyToDVD to be a good choice as well. DVD Decrypter is a good freeware choice.

3. sonyk35

sonyk35 Member

thanx man but the disc im buring is a copyied one so its already shrunk to 4.1 and i think its already decrypted
    i used nero 6.0.0.0

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  4. brobear

brobear Guest

Then all the work is done and you just need to use the disc copy function in Nero Express. Normally Nero is pretty stable, so if you're using disc copy already, I'd check the recordable media and the source disc. To keep from making a bunch of coasters, you need to record with RW discs until the problem is solved.

5. sonyk35

sonyk35 Member

recordable media and disc source ??? i tried copying man it copys it then burn but disc wont work it says it finished burning

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Recordable media; the disc you're trying to record to (disc = media). Source disc; the disc you're trying to record (the source). Bad source disc, faulty disc being recorded to, software or firmware with the PC are some of the possibilities. That 4.1GB figure you stated with the Nero check. Is that free space on the disc or the size of the files that have been recorded to the disc? Will the disc play on the PC player or not? Does the blank disc warning come on a standalone player or on the PC and Standalone?

7. sonyk35

sonyk35 Member

4.1 is the space on the disc but its stuffed up when i put it in windows says it a blank disc but i open with nero it says it has 4.1 used up.
    ok new problem i used a dvd-rw and it works then i tryed to burn it with a dvd+r and it doesnt work donno y. my burner is compatable with all disc

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Use a bit of deductive reasoning. You say the drive is multi format and works with all DVD formats. It burns a DVD -RW. Burner drive works and with RW. Then you try the +R and no go. Drives don't refuse to stop working just because you change media unless there is a problem with the disc or the driver's firmware isn't up to date and capable of using the disc. Most likely you're looking at faulty media; as you said it was burning something to the media. Look at the burn lines on he surface of the disc. Was most of the dye burned to get the 4.1 GB file size on the disc? You can usually see where the laser burned the dye in the disc.

What are the brands of the media you're using? What is the brand name and model of the DVD +/- R/RW drive you are using to burn the DVDs? I should have asked those questions first, but it sounded like you were asking for help with the software.

9. brobear

brobear Guest

You need to stop the double posting before the mods get involved and get on your case. Now we have the burner info (pioneer k14L internal), what is the brand and manufacturer of the recordable discs being used?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2005
  10. sonyk35

sonyk35 Member

dvd+r 8x verbatim

11. brobear

brobear Guest

DVDInfoPro is freeware. http://www.dvdinfopro.com Use it to test your recorded disc for errors and the disc you are recording from. The icon with the magnifying glass is the one to click on for the read test. That will tell you if you have errors on the source of recorded discs. The drive you have is a decent brand and so is the Verbatim.