1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doom 3 problems

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by squizzle, Mar 28, 2005.

1. squizzle

squizzle Active member

OK, I know this is probably an old issue, but I'm just starting to get into PC gaming (it's great by the way). So my problem is that I'm trying to backup my copy of Doom 3, and I'm using Alcohol 120 ver. 1.9.5 build 2722 trial. I select Image Making Wizard and select SafeDisc 2/3. Now when I try to make the MDS file, I get nothing but read errors no matter what read speed I use and no matter what drive I use. I also tried BlindWrite 5 and I let it read for about 25 minutes without any progress whatsoever. I've searched all over the place and found nothing about this problem yet. Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe a software conflict? Maybe my drives can't handle it? I'm using a LiteOn LDW-411S burner and a LiteOn SOHD-167T DVD-ROM drive. Thanks in advance everyone.

2. Octovia

Octovia Member

I downloaded a bittorrent download of Doom 3 and after i installed it,it asks me for the disks.I'm going mad

3. Weycraze

Weycraze Regular member

squizzle, you were on the right track with Alcohol 120%, the read errors are supposed to be there, its a part of the Safedisc protection. Use those settings and read speed of 4X let alcohol finnish making the images, it will get past all those read errors.

Write using Safedsisc 2/3, and burn no faster than 8X.

Alcohol is strong at Safedisc, while Blindwrite's strong suit is Securom, which is an altogether different beast

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

OK, I'll give it a shot. Is it really supposed to take that long though? Should I drop the read speed down?

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ squizzle

If your drive doesn't support fast error skip the read process can certainly take a while. For Doom 3 which uses SafeDisc 3.20.022 I'd personally suggest keeping the read speed at 4X and the same for the burn since this version needs the utmost in accuracy for a successful copy.

Your Lite On 411 is one of the few true EFM capable DVD burners so you're in very good shape there. If A120 can't do the job then I'd suggest using BlindWrite 4.57 which made a much better copy of Doom 3 for me than A120 did.

6. Nephilim

@ Octovia

It's impolite to hijack someone else's thread so if you need help feel free to start a thread of your own.

7. Octovia

Octovia Member

Apologies for that.I'm new and don't want to clog up the forum with my predicaments.Ohwell i'll start a new thread.thanks.

8. Nephilim

No worries. You've every right to your own thread so don't worry about taking up space :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Thanks Neph, it did work. How important is reading and writing at slow speeds? The reason I ask is because I was in a hurry and I left the burn speed on disc 2 at max and on disc 3 I left the write speed at max. Also I downloaded that clonyxx or whatever it's called, and everything is in German (I think). I'd like an English version if it's out there.

10. Nephilim

Here's a little pre-written "cover the basics" thing I keep handy:

So in a nutshell everything needs to be done with the utmost accuracy. Since most multi CD games only have one of the discs protected (usually the play disc) all the above applies only to the protected disc. The unprotected discs can normally be read and written fairly quickly.

Clony hasn't been updated in ages (legal reasons I believe) so you're better off using the much better A-Ray Scanner here http://www.aray-software.com/ .

To get the English working for Clony look to the bottom right of the main window where there should be a button labeled "Optionen" which you can click then tick the English flag to switch the program to English :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Thanks for the words of wisdom. It appears they've gotten pretty smart with some of this copy protection. A guy I work with has Half Life 2 and he said the copy protection for that is so tight that it was a hassle even getting his store-bought copy to work.

12. Nephilim

The PC game protections are about the toughest there are. Some like StarForce are for all intents and purposes impossible to back up. Half Life 2 uses an online client to verify the game every time you go to play it. I believe there are ways around it but haven't bothered to investigate them.

13. squizzle

squizzle Active member

So that means if people have a dial-up connection, they have to spend like 5 minutes to get online every time they want to play? That must suck. Thank God for cable.

14. Nephilim

If memory serves Valve/Steam have a fix for those with dial up or laptops on the go.