1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

doom sound problems

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by cjdj, Jul 25, 2006.

1. cjdj

cjdj Regular member

hi there i have doom 2 the ultimate doom and the final doom and each one in the setup asks for the sound card for sfx and the sound card for music. The music is perfect but sound fx on doom or duke nukem are like distorted / jerky and arent sounding good at all like dont sound right. i dont know what to do.

i select "soundblaster" for sound fx (as it is the only one that works) and u can just make out that it is sound fx but its like all jerky sound and doesnt sound right.

the options are "Gravis ultrasound" "pro audio spectrum" "sound blaster" "pc speaker" "no sound"

The music as i say works perfectly for which i use the setting "sound canvas" so what i am asking is what can i do to make the sound fx work correctly.

I dont know what information you need about my computer or anything to help me so please ask what you need to know so u can help =]

thnx to evry1

chris

***EDIT***

The souund fx problem is the same on duke nukem 3d, the dooms mentioned above and blood. (all fairly old games)

I am using windows xp and have "C-media AC97 audio device" that seems to be what my pc uses for the sound, i dnt know if i need to update the drivers or sumthing to make this work properly but i wouldnt have thought so as these games are fairly old and this pc is only about 2 years old. hope this helps.

thnx

chris

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

All of the games you speak of are OLD. You using Win XP. You are going to have problems trying to run old games on Win XP. The games were originally meant to be run under (real) DOS.

You could get a second, older machine with DOS to run the old games you love. Another option would be to check out the following.

DOSBox: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

D-Fend: http://members.home.nl/mabus/

There is no sure fire, magic bullet to do what you want. Results will vary (a lot) from game to game.

Good luck.