1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

double cd-r capacities

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by synokxt2, Apr 19, 2004.

1. synokxt2

synokxt2 Member

hi

I have a question for u guys:i read somewhere in the web that there were some tricks to double cd-r size capacities.like burning 1400 mbs on a 700 mbs cd.i have read this some time ago.is this true?is there any way to raise or double cd-r capacities??

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Several possibilities:
    1. The site was discussing the theoretical capcity of the CDR as a general medium for data storage. In that context, typically, they use a 2:1 compression ratio to try to sway your opinion one way or another etc

2. Certain drives use proprietory techniques to store "different" amounts of data (i.e., the Plextor drives can squeze damn near 1GB onto a 700MB disc but you cant read them on any old drive).

3. They may also be talking about other formats of cds (i.e., AudioCDs, (S)VCDs, etc) and try to associate them with DataCDs (which you cant). To say that you can burn a 830MB SVCD on a 700MB disc is very misleading on its own -- perfectly true but misleading. It would be far clearer to say something like "One can burn up to 830MB onto a 700MB disc using a special format, called the SVCD" or something like that.

4. DOnt trust it if it comes from a company that can potentially benifit from you beliving it

5. I personally dont believe it.

:)

3. synokxt2

synokxt2 Member

ei thanks for the info =)