1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

double layer dvd good or bad?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by BreakZ, Nov 19, 2004.

1. BreakZ

BreakZ Member

Hi, i was wondering if there is a point of buying a dvd burner that can burn double layer? Are all movies and games on 4.7gig dvd's right now and there is no need for a 8.5 disk?? I herd double layer will never really catch on and woun't be used very much by anything. any help appreciated, thanks

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

No, most movies are over 4.7GB ... and single layer media is actually more like 4.35GB.

The + to dual layer is no need for any compression ... so you will truely get 1:1 copy. It will catch on if the media ever comes down. I would burn dual layer discs like crazy if they were $2-3

3. colw

colw Active member

I agree with Flip - there is no harm in buying a dual layer burner - prices are very similar to single layer.

The main problem to date has been the price of dual layer media (approx $10.00).

The majority of commercial DVD's are currently dual layer (DVD 9 format) although they are pressed rather than burnt.

To burn DVD9 format disks onto single layer DVD's requires the use of a compression program such as DVD
    Shrink. Technically there is a loss in quality but most of this is invisable to the naked eye.

Dual layer media would be technically superior if they can get their pricing right.

No harm in being prepared for this with a dual layer compatible burner. In the meantime you can still use it to burn DVD's on DVD5 media.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member