1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doubling up speaker cable

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by nallalfc, Nov 6, 2007.

1. nallalfc

nallalfc Guest

If I run two speaker cables (ie 4 cores) to one speaker from my surround amp and double up on each terminal would it give me the same as if I had used a thicker core cable?

I have a large roll of thin speaker cable and was wondering if I could use it by doubling up or would it cause any adverse effects on the sound quality?

Thanks in advance.

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Hi, read a report in The Absolute Sound a while ago and the bottom line was 12 gauge( AWG) extension cord worked as excellent speaker cable and cheap. What u suggest will work, but u may encounter problems getting all the wire to stay wrapped together, and if not then the resistance to the speakers may not be the same side to side and may cause probs. Cheaper and better just 2 use good heavy gauge extension cords with ends (eg from Home Depot) cut off as good speaker cable.

3. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

nallalfc, i would not recommend doing that especially if you have an highend system just get some 12 gauge or at least 14 gauge wire and do it right

if you don't have a highend system you aren't going to notice a difference anyway. the 12 gauge helps the bottom end on a highend system but not that much

Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  4. nallalfc

nallalfc Guest

Thanks for the advice guys.

5. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

to add if you have a mid-end system the 14 or 16 gauge is more than fine

6. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Brother zudzig, remember wire is insulator color coated, so goofing up pos/neg is not easy to do unless blk/wht color blind.

Also most of the extension cables even in the US are 99+% copper, while not 4 nine copper, but good enough (also not oxygen free either)

My problem with your concern with tin as a poor conductor is that electronic solder on pc boards is usually 60/40 tin/lead. If it is good enough for electronics, why not speaker cable?

My point, the "experts" from THE ABSOLUTE SOUND thought enough of copper extension cable they recommended it with high honors