1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downgrading to Windows 2000 PRO

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by stan789, Apr 3, 2007.

1. stan789

stan789 Member

Hey everyone im downgrading my Gateway GM5084 To Windows 2000,by the way i have the gateway restore dvd incase if problems accour,anyway i have already scrubbed my drive with iolo drive scrubber and am going to buy windows 2000 PRO off the net.Anyway i talked to a gateway tech and they said i could because the drivers for windows xp are backwards compatible and they said they will work with windows 2000 so i downloaded My AMD Processor Driver,Mothorbord Driver Package,Realteck Ac`97 Audio Driver,And the video driver,i also have a 9 in one media reader but the driver is not avaible for that,anyway what i am trying to say is am i good to go to downngrade or do i need more stuff before i downgrade?any suggestions,tips,help guides ,appreciated, thanks for help and support.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

You should be OK. Why don't you try it and see what happens?

3. stan789

stan789 Member

i still need to get a windows 2000 disk

4. totenkoph

totenkoph Guest

why in gods name are you downgrading from xp to 2000??? thats like downgrading from windows 98 to 3.1 lol

5. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

That's what I was wondering.

Here's a discussion of the advantages and disadvantages of various Windows versions

http://www.en1heure.com/en/avantages_inconvenients_windows.php

XP is really 2000 with a fancy skin and fast user switching. 2000 is more stable, and it may be that for some purposes it is better.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  6. stan789

stan789 Member

well ive been trying to find a disk the cheepist ive found it is to be 49$ for a OEM Version ,No box, on e bay thier any where from 70- 177.00$ thats a lot the reson why i like windows 2000 is because when i first got my old computer it had windows me on it and windows me sucks but 2000 is more staible also im more used to it and its just easier for me.

7. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

There's a lot I could say about this, but, obviously, I'm not going to, except that it makes a refreshing change to hear of such a fine upstanding young man being prepared to actually pay for his copy of Windows!

8. totenkoph

totenkoph Guest

wait i thought that ME was 2000, hence the word "melenium"???

9. stan789

stan789 Member

windows 200 is similer to me but more staible also a tad bit diffrent,Ya i am going to pay for a copy of windows lol i have a prepaid credit card also the cheepist i can find it is, i think either 48 or 50 $