1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Download: ConvertXtoDVD 3 ßeta RC 1

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by cougar_ii, Jan 14, 2008.

1. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

VSO Software has released their 1st public ßeta, of their new upcoming ConvertXtoDVD v3.00

Here is the download link to the first Release Candidate of ConvertXtoDVD 3 which will be referred to as version 2.99.x.500.

http://www.vso-software.fr/download_product_direct.php?product=convertxtodvd3

Please provide VSO Software your feedback on this version, there may still be bugs to fix so please report them to make sure that we are aware of the remaining issues.

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

dam awesome thx

3. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

I know your a big fan of VSO Cougar, but to me there's no reason to use VSO if you have DVD Flick:

1. It's free.
    2. It has the exact same featuresVSO does (including menus as of 1.3.0.0)
    3. It can combine separate AVI's into one stream, VSO can't.
    4. It gives you better quality, as you can set your bitrates manually to cram as much quality as possible into every DVD.
    5. It uses Img Burn to author and finalize, which is a much more tried an true burning software than VSO's inbuilt one.

Now why pay for that if you don't have to?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

It can combine separate AVI's into one stream, VSO can't

----------------------------------

does v3 combine before burn? if not it needs to as 2 avi's to one film can have second half audio sync out, but combined not.

i combine then load to convertx

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  5. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi,

I never tried DVDFlick or The Flim Machine.

I started to use ConvertXtoDVD and loved it.

I bought the GoldenMembership because I enjoy all their software.

Blindwrite / CopyToDVD / PhotoDVD / PhotoOnWeb / Image Resizer

v3.00 will offer new enhanced menus (Chapter / Settings menu pages)
    YES, v3.00 has a file join feature, will let join multiple files if you wish.

You can now add an audio streams.

As for the bitrate, ConvertXtoDVD provides you the maximum bitrate it can extract from your input file.

Junk in, junk out, so personally I would not know what bitrate to use.

*IF* the bitrate needs to be lowered a little, ConvertXtoDVD will reduce it, to make sure your output will fit on your desired size

DVD5, DVD9 or custom.

So yes, I still have decided to pay for VSO ConvertXtoDVD since I like what it gives me.

Just like DVD Decrypter, and DVDFab Decrypter, those are free, but I still have decided to purchase AnyDVD.

SO I think it's a personal choice, on what software pleases you, and if you are happy with the end results or not.

ConvertXtoDVD doesn't make everyone happy, there are still some users who would like 2 passes using hENQ encoder, or ECC or something like that.

Like I always say: Use what makes YOU happy and I am happy with VSO Software.

6. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

I go with the hacker mentality lol, I prefer my Freeware anyday..
    Especially when it comes to video and audio tools/transcoders, a lot of freeware apps. these days easily surpass a lot of commercial software that retails for as much as hundred's of dollars.

I downloaded ConvertX 3 and had a look, I must say it does look impressive, they've pretty much taken what was missing from DVD Flick and added in a lot of the same features and some new ones. I particularly like the Menu Editing options, looks like it allows for some really slick, custom layouts; looks very nice indeed.
    But the rest is fundamentally the same and I as I said you still can't manually set bitrates which is a big problem for me, as quality is my number one priority.

Not trying to 'Convert' you here (no puns intended LOL), if your happy with it by all means use it to your heart's content ;)

7. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

@Amir89,
    I'm all about freebies too. Nonetheless, DVD Flick and ConvertXtoDVD are both great programs given their respective attributes. But ultimately, it's a matter of personal choice. I've always had great quality and speedy convesions with the latter. Hence, I seldom use DVD Flick. But would recommend DVD Flick to anyone...

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

same i recommend dvd flick / convertxtodvd for the ease of use for first timers etc on afterdawn.

i mainly use TFM / CCE for avi to dvd

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

1. For what ConvertX cost it basically is free.
    2. ConvertX 3 will have superior menus.
    3. Convertx 3 will now combine/merge AVI's
    4. Choosing your own bitrate means nothing, ConvertX's methodology determines exactly what is needed.
    5. Flick uses dvdauthor to author, ImgBurn is used for burning which you can also use for ConvertX.

I also like Convertx 3's new very comprehensive Image resizing options.

[​IMG]

It's has many more subtitle options.

[​IMG]

And of course it's more versatile playback options.

[​IMG]

It's been awhile since I tried Flick, but can it convert PAL DVD's to NTSC?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hmm not sure if dvd flick does pal to ntsc? anyone?

3. Convertx 3 will now combine/merge AVI's

does it do this on encode or is it a separate action to be first?

-----------------------------------

MysticE, not seen those pic you posted in convertxtodvd yet how would one get thoses up?

EDIT - found it (love safe area for video position! - awesome)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  11. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Flick sets the format automatically based on the FPS of the video source but you can change that yourself manually. As of 1.3.0.0 it can make mixed NTSC/PAL DVD's too.

@ MysticE:

Did you read my previous post?
    I didn't say it was a hunk of junk, I was quite impressed too, especially the menu editor, looks very slick indeed..
    Still I'm sticking with my guns.

12. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Okay just to test it out a bit, I converted a 2 & 1/2 Hour movie with ConvertX 3 last night, and I was surprised to find it only used 3.37Gb of space...?

So much for "ConvertX's methodology determines exactly what is needed."

ConvertX's methodology is extremely wasteful in my opinion. I mean 1.33Gb of space could easily mean the difference between 2500Kbp/s and 3000, which is a big gap between VCD quality and SVCD.

With all their improvements they still haven't mastered the basics. I tried the movie out on my TV and even on an 80cm set I could easily tell the difference between ConvertX and DVD Flick.

I usually use up 4485 out of 4489Mb of space with DVD Flick, and the picture looks 3 times better than ConvertX, easily.

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

wow the more you click on links in convertxtodvd the more stuff you find, like tools etc

love the resize to safe zone

[​IMG]

14. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi,

I am no a video guru at all, but all I know (Was told) is that ConvertXtiDVD will offer you the best bitrate possible based on your inuput file.

If all you can get is 6000, and 3.5gb size, why raise it to 8500 or 9000 (DVD Max it seems) just to fill the media !

A lot of people in the past ask this, software can't be that good, it can even fill the whole DVD5 media.

If you still have the ConvertXtoDVD log, look and see what bitrate was applied to your file.

Then use DVDFlick and set the bitrate manual, make it higher.
    See if you there a huge difference in the quality ?

I won't see the difference since I aint a quality expert/freak nor a video GURU !

15. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Indeed, a lot of major enhancements on this beta version! I personally like the new GUI. I can't wait for the final release.

16. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Yea. Well if it's quality you want why are you messing around with DVD Flick and FFMPEG in the first place? There are many front ends (free for those who choose not to support the authors) that use the superior HCenc encoder.

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

gotto love free..... hehe

18. Amir89

Amir89 Regular member

Hey I'm not a complete Videophile, I just place quality as the number one priority, as opposed to Menus, Subtitles, whatever...

I've tried CCE and HenC, but their pointless IMO, whatever increased quality they offer is barely noticeable if at all, and requires another 5 hours or so hours added to the converting process.

19. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

TFM /CCE with DSROBA enabled is 4 passes of cce in 1 and on my pc takes an avi 1 hour 30 to dvdr

20. fandr78

fandr78 Regular member

I have a question to ask about convertXtoDVD 3.I am using the default menu setting.However i can not change the title on the title page.I have a movie,which came in two parts,which i did merge together.Basicly all i want to know is how to change the name of the title and change the name of my 2 merged movies as well...This was so much easier in convertxtodvd 2.I'm pulling my hair out,man.Thanks in advance for your time.