1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downloaded Movie Too Big To Fit On A DVD-R?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Shaun2209, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Shaun2209

Shaun2209 Guest

Hi everyone,

I recently downloaded a movie. However I now find the movie is too big to fit on 1 DVD Disc. I don't want to have to put it on 2 discs if I can help it.

The file size is 679mb, however the running time is 2hrs 46 mins. When I first saw the file size, I thought I would have no problems burning it on to a DVD disc, particuarly when a CD Disc can take 700mb. Yet it won't even fit on a DVD disc. Why is this? Is the file compressed or something?

By the way, the file is an avi video file. I was advised by a friend to convert the file to mpeg, he told me that would cure my problem and mean I would be able to put it on one disc.

However, after doing this the file size became an unbelievable 8.2GB. That certainly didn't cure my problem.

I've been reading up on a program called DVD Shrink. At first I thought this might be the answer. However, am I right in thinking that this program is only useful for movies that are already on a DVD disc and will enable you to make a copy of your own on 1 blank disc once the program has taken all the extras out?

If this is the case, then its not for me, as my film is still on my HD waiting to be put on a disc.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks. Shaun.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Need to read the forum rules, chief. Can't be asking about downloaded (i.e. pirated) movies or you're going to get banned.

3. cern

cern Guest

you need to read the thread that I started a few days ago called "xvid is just too big for dvd???? help! " I think you have the same problem that I have.