1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downloading embedded video: .swf files

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by CiDaemon, Oct 28, 2006.

1. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

this is very simple. Look in View--> Page Source from Firefox menu (I hope you do not use Internet Explorer...) Then look for the entry for .swf. This site uses Shockwave Flash. I found a link that said thekristo.swf. When I copied the address into top bar, with hxxp://www.thekristo.com/atf/cf/%7BA6162F41-9606-4DD8-8E00-79E16239A89C%7D at beginning it easily took me to the page. The flash loaded into firefox CACHE directory (i could see it save there), and I copied to desktop and renamed as "kristo.shockwave.swf" with no problems.

Thank you for the great site. Jesus rocks!!!

2. xhardc0re

xhardc0re Guest

i was able to extract the swf file easily. Which browser are you using? If not firefox, getfirefox.com right now :)

Look in the cache directory, or view source & look for .SWF reference. 99% of sites are so easy to get the file from. Only when they use multiple .htm files & noframes does it become difficult.

3. convert71

convert71 Member

4. convert71

convert71 Member

Well I figured it out. You need a corresponding .dat file that I guess has the data in it. So what I did was open up my temporary internet files folder and viewed the website with the shockwave file on it. Then I copied the .dat file into the directory of the .swf file and it now works!

5. syntheg

syntheg Guest

Hello, I'm trying to download this ridiculous John K. movie here:
    http://www.nameless.net.au/spid3r/videos/31/1/9nnsfvi0d/random.html

I tried the tutorial but I guess I'm too dumb to figure out a hex editor. Also I tried a few firefox plugins but I can only seem to download the flash file that links to the video itself. Arrgggghhhh!

6. pxd

pxd Member

No luck with Opera, downloaded as dcache4.url file~ (anyone has good steps to convert this into other files and not retain the 'shortcut' nature of itself?) Thank you.

7. nectarios

nectarios Member

Hi,

My first post.

I've been trying for hours to download this video for work:
    http://video.knbc.com/player/?id=184982

Can someone help? I tried Firefox, I've tried three or four programs. Nothing works? It is an embedded video from a News site in LA. Can someone please help me? Ican't find where the video is originating.

Thanks in advance!

8. a745

a745 Member

9. Freddy04

Freddy04 Guest

Thank you for the tutorial, but I have been attempting to obtain copies of 2 .swf files from AMERICAN GREETINGS for three years now. These are the same two files you helped Elayne obtain last November (Survival Song and U Can't Stuff This). Now they are not available? Now, this year they have a Bird With No Tomorrow. Like Elayne, I would pay to have this file.
    AND ELAYNE---if you read this, and you would email me those two files from last year I would pay you. Any help from you guys would be so very welcome and I would be immensely grateful.
    The MOderator removed the link but it has no viruses. It was to American Greetings. I am a registered paying member. Do you need the link to help me obtain the file? If so let me know.
    Thanks so much!

10. jondavis

jondavis Member

Freddy04 have you tried this yet?
    http://applian.com/replay-media-catcher/demo.php

I downloaded one clip from America Greetings with it.

After I downloaded, it did not automatically play after I clicked on it.
    It brings up Macromedia Flash Player 8 then you have to click on Control from the menu above and select Play.

11. Freddy04

Freddy04 Guest

Thanks for the tip! I am downloading Replay Media Catcher now!!! These flash files from American Greetings even took some time for CI DAEMON to figure out, they are that protected. I am a paid member and it burns me up that they made the two files from last season totally unavailable, even to view on their site. If this works I will let you know, and thanks in any event!

12. tenpole

tenpole Member

this soultion does not work with looped files, any idea how i get around this issue? correct me if i'm wrong, but when i got to my "temporary internet files" the video im trying to save will not appear as a complete file, because there is no end to the file according to your machine, so it does not save it...
    so what is the secret of saving looped videos, any idea?

cheers

tenpole.

13. Freddy04

Freddy04 Guest

No luck whatsoever with Replay Media Catcher. I am still trying the very last recommendations written by CI DAEMON. I have identified the ihost URL, but simply cannot determine what is the "cardnum text". If anyone can possibly help me with to download the current swf file on AMERICAN GREETINGS I would be grateful. Thanks again to the member who responded already. Say---how do I contact a member by email? Is that possible? I cannot find a profile on either senior member I am trying to locate about these files.

14. jondavis

jondavis Member

You might Give RM Catcher one more chance.
    Best way to try and make sure is to close Internet Explorer or Firefox then start Recording. After Recording open your Browser go to where the video is at and play it.
    If something appears in the RM Catcher window then you are recording.
    When it finishes a green check mark will show up next to the file.
    You can not play it from there, you have to go to the directory where it is stored at to play the file.

15. Freddy04

Freddy04 Guest

Hi JonDavis,
    You are on the ball! Replay Media Catcher was able to capture the file!I was not deploying the capture program correctly prior to your helpful instructions. Thank you for your help!!!

16. nectarios

nectarios Member

17. Kholboo

Kholboo Member

Could someone tech me how to download this video and show me the steps Please????

Gogo.MN

Thank You!

18. Mayakovsk

Mayakovsk Member

I am hoping someone might help me find a way to save swf files from

www.brainpop.com

these are animated educational videos (SWF) that i want to use in a setting where there is no internet connection available.

I was only able to download a few - by searching for the files in the cache - but a few days later even THESE were not playable for some reason. The screen simply turns white.

I'm stumped.

If anyone wants the challenge, I'd be terribly grateful for any direction.

passwords for the site: bcps / brainpop

Hope to hear from somebody....

19. jondavis

jondavis Member

Did you try Real Media Catcher yet?
    There is a link to it on the previous page/last comment.

20. Mayakovsk

Mayakovsk Member

Greetings all....

another bit of info to my previous posting...

i am able to download TWO swf files - one containing the video, and another defined as the container....

is there a way i can get this to play without having to decompile the file and change it somehow?

ideas?

mayakovsky.