downloading xbox games

Discussion in 'Xbox - Backup discussion' started by Julia27, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Julia27

Julia27 Member

Do you still need a DVD burner and all that other software to copy XBOX games with a mod chip?

2. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

You don't [bold]need[/bold] a dvd burner(you could transfer the games to your xbox hard drive).
    Not really going to save you too much money though because you would have to buy a larger hdd and install it. You could softmod your box and save the cost of a modchip. As far as the software is concerned, there are free versions that will do the job.

3. akspud93

akspud93 Regular member

yup just hard or soft mod ur xbox and then get uneashx dash on there and it will allow u to save games to the HD. If u don't wanna do that then U can get and ISO creator...and a DVD burner with DVD-R's that is it!

4. Julia27

Julia27 Member

WHich way is cheapest/easiest?? Someone else said that I need like five different softwares and five different hardwares. Some include the mod chip, the evox dy, dashboard, cable, FTP, nero, flash, iso file, and on and on. Which of these do I REALLY need?

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@Julia27

I see your in here now asking for question. Let me give some advice. I know you was also wanting to burn DVDs as well. If your worried about cost it would be better for you to buy a DVD burrner and copy the Xbox games that way you could also copy your DVD movies as well.

There is alot of info to learn about modding your Xbox and alot that goes into it.

You can softmod your Xbox or get a chip which you will have to install inside your Xbox on the motherboard. Softmoding is a game exploit that lets you mod your Xbox Harddrive.

No matter how you mod your Xbox (modchip) or (softmod) you would still have to backup games with either burrning them or placing them on your hard drive.

The problem with placing them on your hard drive in your Xbox is that it is only roughly around 8 to 10 gigs so depending on the size of the games you would only bebale to get 5 to 20 games on it. Thats depeending on the games. To get around that problem you could insatll a bigger hard drive in your Xbox to hold more games. I have a 300gig in mine.

So if you look at what your choices are and your woundering about the cost. I bealive that getting a DVD burrner would be the chaepest way to go and burn your Games onto disc that way you could also burn your DVD movies as well.

Where if you just buy a hard drive for your Xbox you wouldnt bebale to copy DVDs unless you get a DVD burrner.

Whatever you do with your Xbox you will need to know some knowledge about how to get the modchip in or using softmodding on it. So before you choose read up on Softmoding and Modchipping Xbox's and make sure you will bebale to perform the task you have to do before jumping into it.

Below is a few links for you to look at about modding your Xbox.

http://www.xbox-scene.com/

on the above link you can go to the tutorial section and read up on modding.

http://www.xbox-hq.com/html/

Another site to get more information.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2005
  6. Bohefus

Bohefus Regular member

Cheapest and easiest solution would be to softmod and buy a dvd burner. You may be able to get a hdd for your xbox cheaper than a burner(maybe not) but adding a hdd is another task that may add more time and frustration to getting everything setup. With softmodding you erase the cost & installation of a modchip. Software won't cost you anything, you can get a copy of dvd decrytper for free(used for burning your discs) and the rest of the software is just a matter of knowing where to look in the "usual places"

7. Julia27

Julia27 Member

You know maybe getting a larger HD on the XBOX is better than I thought. We have problems damaging CDS (scratching). So, another question...If I do get a larger HD, can I also download CDs onto that? I know when we bought our XBOX used, the previous owner had downloaded about 250 songs on the HD, which we accidentally erased! So, maybe the HD is already larger?

8. larrylje

larrylje Active member

How did you get into your Xbox in the first place to deelete of the hard drive?

Did the guy you bought it from say if it was modded in some way?

When you turn on the Xbox what comes up? Is it the Micro Spft dashboard, or is it Evox or unleash dashboard?

9. akspud93

akspud93 Regular member

Actually I am going to have to go ahead and disagree here and say that it is actually cheaper to get a DVD burner and DVD-Rs and a modchip and do it that way cus if you look at the average amount of space a game takes up it is like 3-4GBs MAX so you could go ahead and spen a lot on a huge 300GB top of the line HD but over all you will probably not end up filling that HD (no that does not mean it isn't possible i'm just saying that it isn't likley considerning xbox 360 is in the near future) Anyways I would suggest exactly what I have done because it is easy and is relitivly inexpensive. I got a custom instillation by the people at mod chip source Http://www.modchipsource.com for like 200 dollars (well then again i went over the top but you can do it for less than 150 most likley) and all u do is send them the box and install everything for u and even give u a decent warrenty or at least more than u would get if u modded it yourself. Modding your box youself requires knowledeg of your hardware in your xbox and how to solder.....yes it can be done but I did not have that time or energy to do it. And once you get your box back however you do it, it is as simple as flashing the chip with an updated bios, putting a dash on it, and other apps u want like DVD2xbox or XBMC. (believe me this sounds more complicated than it actually is and I can help if needed) Then considering most new computers already have DVD burners in them (ok ok u may not have one but purchasing one can easily be done for a pretty good price.....in fact less than a huge external HD) Anyways then the only expense u face after that are blank DVD-Rs. So i sugest you start off with finding a way of modding soft or hard I'm just giving u a suggestion for what has worked for me!

10. Julia27

Julia27 Member

I never deleted the hard drive. Also, the regular Microsoft screen is what comes up.

11. larrylje

larrylje Active member

You said that the guy that had the Xbox before you downloaded songs to it and you deleted them off the hard drive.

What I am asuming is that in order to do that it has to be softmodded or hard modded in some way to place audio files onto the Xbox hard drive.

Unless im mistaken. I dont know cause I bought my Xbox used as well and just softmodded it. So maybe somone else has the answer that im asking. Can you download music to the hard drive of an unmodded Xbox? If the answer is no then Julia27 Xbox must be modded in some way.

@akspud93

You spent $200 on getting your Xbox modded?

Well I softmodded my Xbox spent $20 bucks on action replay did the game exploit and bought a 300gig drive for $100 bucks after mail in rebate so $120 I had my Xbox modded and a 300gig drive in it. And you say it would be cheaper to go your way?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  12. Julia27

Julia27 Member

NOw is the flash, and the dash and the other software have a "free" site to download off of? When I start my XBOX, it just says Microsoft, but the guy really did have a bunch of songs on it. No, I did not ask if he modified it or anything. Now, if I do go ahead and do this mod and get a dvd burner, then will I be able to burn everything...CDS, games, DVDS, computer games, etc???

13. Julia27

Julia27 Member

When I go into this Mod chip source website, how do I know what service to select? I have no idea like what to put in under the "installation" services. Thanks

14. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Yes if you buy a DVD burrner you will bebale to burn CD, DVDs, Xbox games etc etc with it.

In my opinion id sugest trying to softmod the Xbox. It would be eiser for you to do and that way you dont have to open up the Xbox and insatll a modchip in it.

Like I said before softmodding is modding the Hard drive of the Xbox with a game save exploit. You do not have to open the xbox and install any hardware.

Go here and read up on how to softmod the Xbox.

http://home.comcast.net/~admiral_powerslave/softmod.html

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  15. akspud93

akspud93 Regular member

ALRIGHT I SAY AGAIN I WENT OVER THE TOP WITH MY XBOX...AND IT CAN BE DONE FOR CHEAPER. First of all mine was a hardmod and not a soft mod so that in itslef is more expnsive. Then the LCD screen, custom faceplate, usb ports, and proswitch. And i didn't have to install anything myself.....NOW DO U UNDERSTAND WHY IT COST SO MUCH?? And second of all softmodding is WAY CHEAPER to begin with.

16. michael91

michael91 Guest

****PLEASE HELP******
    How do I burn xbox games onto a disc and do we need to do anything to our xbox so that we can play the burned games? Thank You for any help you can give us.

17. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@michael91

yes you need to hardmod your Xbox or softmod it then FTP to your Xbox to rip the games from your Xbox DVD drive onto your computer to burn them.

Now before you ask how you do it help yourself by searching for other post and sites on how to Mod an Xbox.

18. shinnster

shinnster Regular member

@ larrylje

in regards to your question about ripping music to an unmodded box, you can do that on a standard box so she must have just erased the files from the audio section of the box.

@ michael91
    there is lots of info on this site about doing that so a little time searching and you will find everything you need to know :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
  19. Julia27

Julia27 Member

Hey, AKSPUD93, Could you do me a huge favor. I have decided to softmod my XBOX, and I need some help. OK, I'm going to use the Action Replay and Splinter Cell. I have no idea what to do once I get them, could you tell me please. Then, could you run me through the steps, specifically telling me like where and exactly what software to download. I would sooo appreciate it. I found a place that gives step by step, but only for modding the other way, thanks
    Also, I wen to the XBOX website and I don't know exactly what software to download (the best or the necessary). I don't want to fill up my computer with a bunch of stuff that's no good or that I won't use.

20. tEChniiQue

tEChniiQue Guest