1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Downsampled HD DVD using PowerDVD?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by emugamer, Apr 23, 2009.

1. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

I have a Radeon 4850 GPU with HDMI out - it's HDCP compliant. I have the HDMI going to my new 46" HDTV. I finally got PowerDVD 7.3 to work and I am able to play The Fugitive HD DVD. But the image is definitely not HD. It looks like it's been downsampled. I don't think HDCP is an issue. Typically you wouldn't be able to play the movie if both the output and input were not HDCP compliant, right?

Could it be a setting on the video card? I've tried to go through all of the options in the ATI control center.

btw, I am using Vista Ultimate x64

2. Bigperm88

Bigperm88 Guest

All components need to be HDCP compliant. Also the Fugitive is not the best media to test, its a so so HD transfer.

If your components are not all HDCP compliant or the handshaking isn't taking place properly, you video will be downgraded by powerDVD.

Check what signal your TV is receiving, there should be an option in your settings or menus to show what your TV is receiving. 480p, 720p, 1080p etc.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2009
  3. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

Thanks for the reply. You're right about The Fugitive film quality...in fact, of all the HD DVD's I own, it's the only one that doesn't advertise on the box "the look and sound of perfect"...lol
    But the image is definitely being downgraded by PowerDVD. I tried The Fast and the Furious last night and although it looked better, I noticed a slight difference in quality. So I ripped it to mkv at a bitrate of 15,000. Then I played it on my TV using mpclassic. Looked so much better than playing it from the HD DVD.

So I'm pretty sure now that powerdvd is downgrading my movie. I don't know why. Both my video card and TV are HDCP compliant.