1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dr. DivX Problem

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by sonoma095, Jul 6, 2004.

1. sonoma095

sonoma095 Member

Hello all, I recently began useing Dr. DivX as an upgrade from my DivX 5.0.2 basic codec. Video quality has improved, and it works great with lots of different file types, however I am haveing an ongoing audio sync problem which I didn't have before when I was useing virtual dub and my basic codec. I am trying to encode a .d2v file with riff-wav audio. I believe the audio settings are 160kbps, mp3. I've spent hours with this problem and any help would be much appreciated.
    thanks

2. sonoma095

sonoma095 Member

Also when i try to run the same job with virtual dub and the new divx codec that came with dr. divx i get an error as soon as i start the jobs. The error box just simply says expected. Im baffled by this as well, shouldn't virtual dub be able to use the codec?

3. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Icant offer any solutions only sympathy. I was happily using easydivx and making high quality avi's, then I decided to download the trial version of Dr. Divx - disaster after that, if I tried to play a conversion in divx player, it froze the computer up, and in all the other players, ie. Windows media player, real, videolan, etc. the video was in slow motion and audio carried on. Got rid of dr. divx and got back old codec, but made no difference. In the end had to scrap easydivx and have another free program which is very good called dvdx, now everything fine, but dr. divx is a dirty word in this house.

4. sonoma095

sonoma095 Member

thanks for the advice, unfortunate to hear however. The only thing I have found that dr. divx does well for me anyway was convert .wmv files to divx avis. The five videos i converted with it came out great. I'll try dvdx, but do you have any suggestions for what I should use for my .wmv conversions?

5. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Thanks for your message. I dont know what you are actually converting from, I only convert downloads, dvd backups of movies and tv recordings, so dont come into contact with wmv's. I did get a 650MB mkv of a recent movie the other day, only found it was mkv after completion, havent a clue what to do with it, not like rars than convert to bin and cue, so do you know anything about this strange format

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

@elainc33
    you use virtualdubmod ? the you must have mistaken in pressing the save as..... as a matroska.

don't worry, the video is still the same if it were in avi. both avi and mkv and ogm is a container for the video and audio to be out together.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/

as i know wmp will not play it, unless you install mkv filter/splitter or something.
    but i use media player classic, go to the link and d/l it.

you can change it to avi, load it, direct stream copy save as avi.

@sonoma
    i ditched divx altogether long ago, use xvid. totally free, no basic or rip off version, and even better.

as for sync prob, could be decoding prob, you use forcefilm for an unsuitable source, i prefer telecide than forcefilm.

7. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Hi Shiroh, thanks for message, at last someone has heard of mkv. I havent used virtualdub, when I convert I am lazy use divx2dvd for avi and for tv recordings PVastrumento and TmpGenc DVD Author, I will look at your dl for player for this strange named thing but dont quite understand what you meant about pressing the save as, because that is how I downloaded it, didnt know what format it was, assumed avi, until it was complete. Are you saying I can actually convert it to an avi, that would be brilliant but how??? I managed some rars to bin and cue and then cd image the other day but I need help for mkv but will try the player first as you suggest thanks.

8. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Hi Shiroh, me again. I am impressed with your knowledge. I downloaded the player, got it working, put the mkv file in (kept it on a cdrw), first it said, media player could not render some of the pins etc. etc. Then I got rid of that message, was about to give up but clicked on play and got a very good quality video but no audio, got any ideas. I obviously dont have the necessary audio codec, am nervous about downloading codecs as I dont want to upset computer again, after dr. divx experience. Would value your help and if I could get it to play on standalone would be fantastic for someone else as I am not into Harry Potter really but I do like to try and work things out.E

9. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Hi me again, I have now got sound, not very loud but its there - I downloaded ogg vorbis. A guy on another forum gave me a link for River Past Video Cleaner to convert mkv to avi, but it is 30 dollars, too much to spend on one conversion for a friend's child. If you hear of anything else free to do this conversion, would appreciate knowing.Many thanks for your help, have learned alot from you and glad I kept my Harry Potter mkv on a cdrw instead of deleting it altogether.

10. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Shiroh, me yet again. I tried what you said about open the classic player, loading the mkv file, but there is no option for direct stream copy, there was only save as, and I could not save it as an "avi file", no option, just "all files", or any files cant remember which, so what I actually saved was the same as the original mkv file.

11. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Just thought, maybe you didnt mean load it in the classic player and save it as avi?? got nowhere else to load it!!!

12. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Hi,
    Well I think I have about exhausted all possibilities of converting this mkv. I downloaded free trial of Video cleaner, plus the dxwebsetup, wmfdist and ttseng.mis which they said was required. When I tried to open file in video cleaner said "the following files do not contain recognizable video" so all the downloading seems to have been in vain. Dont understand why people want to convert to something obscure like mkv when there is avi or mpeg around. Anyway, I can watch it on pc if I want thanks to your help.

13. shiroh

shiroh Guest

mpc (media player classic) is the player, to convert it you need virtualdubmod, super easy to use, actually its not really a convertion, just parsing and writing the avi headers...

my bad i should be more clearer

its free
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=65889

download 1.5.4.1 it is the most stable version.

if you want 1.5.10.1, download it, and download the bugfix version of the exe. scroll down.

mkv is better than avi in most way, except it is not the most popular container, mp4 seems to be avi successor.....
    mkv will eat anything you throw at em, almost. so someone who encodes it and put mkv probably won't use mp3, maybe ogg or ac3 or aac

try gspot to look what decoder you need.

for video, ffdshow, decodes mpeg4 very well. give this a shot, its all you need.

one more thing real video and HE aac seems to be popular, at least among geeks that is in search for the best codec to encodes anime.

mkv and ogg is open source, means its free, so paying 30 dollars is a rip off

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2004
  14. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Hi, thanks again for tips. I already tried to run it through G-spot but says not a valid avi file, so codec info na, which makes me wonder if it is convertable, but will give the virtualdubmod a go and let you know how I get on.

15. elainc33

elainc33 Member

shiroh, I am stuck again. Downloaded virtualdubmod, tried to open file, then got message Virtdub requires VFW compatible codec. Direct Show codecs such as those used by Wm Player are NOT SUITABLE. Only "Direct Stream Copy" is available for this video. So can you tell me where I can get a vfw compat codec and the exact name of it, as I dont want to mess up pc again. Thanks. Will have another look and also look at virtualdub again in case I have missed something.

16. shiroh

shiroh Guest

did you go into the folder that you unpack all the zip and click on the aux setup and install handler ?

my bad, thread hijack. :p

17. elainc33

elainc33 Member

Hi, no I didnt unzip aux setup or install handler oops, but have now and still getting the same message after it has "parsed". I dont really know what I am doing any more, unzipped the file in the c: directory - archive, now have hundreds of files all over the place, which have gone into alphabetical order so mixed up with everything else. I scanned the non existent file 0 frames bad 0 frames good but undecodable, so maybe there is something wrong with the file anyway, although it plays fine in mpc player. When I tried to preview input - virtualdub crashed. I hate giving in but think I will have to and fine another avi file to download.

18. shiroh

shiroh Guest

you didn't unzipped all the stuff into its own folder ?
    and mixed it up with all your programmes/files ?

it should be only a few files, like 13 of em. and they all need to be on the same folder.

my rule in computing, you need to organize, so you can delete stuff.

try with other files.

19. elainc33

elainc33 Member

I know I am stupid, dont really know much about unzipping files and since installing winrar, everything seems a bit potty. Anyway, I put all the virtdub files (around 21 incl 6 text plus folders of aviproxy, plugins, templates into one folder, vdrslnk. dll, vdremote dll, vorbis, ogg, corona etc. etc. but noticed after reading help I dont have sylia dll. Anyway, same warning coming up after parsing "couldnt locate decompressor for format yyyy (unknown), requires VFM compat. codec, not direct show codecs etc. I then decided to open other avi's (even my own conversions) and when I previewed them they played fine, so it is definitely a problem with the mkv and not the installation of Virtdub. To be honest I dont even know what virtualdub is for, looks complicated, that's why I am a lazy b... and use divx2dvd, assuming virtual dub is for converting to dvd eventually?? So do I give up on Mr. H. Potter and wait for an avi download, hate being beaten but just cant solve this one and I am sure you are fed up with it as well but I do appreciate your help, maybe I can use virtdub now I have it, when I know what it's for!!! Have an even bigger problem now, my daughter just phoned has large aggressive rat in her overpriced student house and owner doesnt give a toss.

20. shiroh

shiroh Guest

vdub is a video editing software, not as good and features as premiere, but enough for encoding, the author actually made it to capture tv and vhs. and went downhill from there.

since the video played i think you got the codec, could you check what its exactly is. it could be something else than mpeg4.

ok, play the video in mpc. and under play tab go to filter. and write what you see there.