1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dramatic computer slowdown...Help Please!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lamelambe, Feb 14, 2007.

1. lamelambe

lamelambe Guest

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help....?

I've had my computer for about a year now, and it's suddenly started slowing down since I had to re-install windows due to it unexpectedly crashing. It has AVG antivirus on it which updates every day, and adaware, which has found no major problems.

These are my specs -
    - AMD athlon x2 3800
    - Nvidia 7800gt (newest drivers)
    - 1gb RAM
    - 200gb hard drive (7800rpm)

I recently tried to run doom 3 at full settings, and it was lagging alot, even though this is quiite an old game...when I first got the computer, it could run FEAR at nearly full settings, but now i have to turn them down a lot...

I was wondering if anyone knows of anything I could do to help improve my computers' performance??

Thanks alot,

James

2. lecsiy

lecsiy Regular member

Try: (if youve recently install windows all over again it should help)

Formatiing then installing windows again. Then updating all the latest drivers.

If youve had the computer for a year im sure youve managed (like all of us) to fill your computer up with a load of rescource hogging crap!

Haha should help!

Report back if you need any help doing it or with results!

Lecsiy

3. lamelambe

lamelambe Guest

How would I go about formatting my hard disc?? Also is there any way I could partition my hard drive, so everything I have on it already is not lost...it's such a pain to find and download all the drivers, and all my documents....

Thanks,

James