1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dreambox 500T 500C Fixes here

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by Satlinksw, Apr 4, 2008.

1. nicholls1

nicholls1 Member

OK, so i have the same problem as someone else, after putting image on it just hangs at the banner whilst booting up. it starts, goes black for a second, comes back on, then doesnt do anything, just hangs.

So i have tried to re-image it, now heres another problem, im using Dreamup and it just aborts after a couple of minutes. iv tried different images but they all just do the same.

So, some possible remedies/questions?

When i start up my box, i dont have the cable antenna plugged in - would this prevent it booting up?

Also, When the transfer of an image aborts - is this a faulty cable?

And just becasue i can imagine loads of people are thinking it - What happens if you do press yes to flash-erase??

2. markarman

markarman Regular member

earlier someone else had their box hanging. it turned out the batteries in the remote had gone ! once its flashed and you get the dk screen you need to go to menu and settings and start a scan. try pressing ok or info or menu on the remotre.

the transfer image aborting? i have no idea, could be faulty cable could be faulty connection. most probably its the wrong type of cable. you must use a null modem cable (rs232 doesnt flash) although it will connect and seem to start.

this is what happens when you select yes to perform flasdh erase
    "This is a message to MARKARMAN regarding flashing the DK image. Thanks for mentioning not to flash erase when flashing the image. I had tried flashing the DK image several times (each time I flash erased as I have always done with my DW image), and each time my prem chans did not work,but as soon as I followed your instruction not to flash erase I was able to view them. Many thanks once more."

let us know how you get on

good luck

Mark ..

3. nicholls1

nicholls1 Member

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!

why have i spent ALL day trying different things when all it was was that i needed to press the menu button!!!

I didnt even think out of the box and think to press the remote control. Oh well. It works.

Although, for some premium channels im getting service could not be found. Any pointers for that??

Thankyou for the help though

4. Phase123

Phase123 Regular member

Could be signal strength. You could buy an attenuator, it helped me with this problem.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  5. markarman

markarman Regular member

"This is a message to MARKARMAN regarding flashing the DK image. Thanks for mentioning not to flash erase when flashing the image. I had tried flashing the DK image several times (each time I flash erased as I have always done with my DW image), and each time my prem chans did not work,but as soon as I followed your instruction not to flash erase I was able to view them. Many thanks once more."

6. atyrrell

atyrrell Member

folks lookin for help never flashed a dreambox before .Have downloaded dreamup have connected a responded to PC.When i look for a file to flash I have about 11 or so from the latest update i downloaded.All.Bin files called nagrapr and nagrarom etc.do i flash all twenty or so files one by one? any advice would be great many thanks

7. nicholls1

nicholls1 Member

Ok, at first this was just SLY1 and M*V1, now a day later, im recieving M*V1 fine, however not the first. Could this be the rollback thing not updating for this channel??

Also, not that this is a problem, but some channel names have "!" infront of the name. these are channels freom a second scan which were found. Whats this all about??

8. cgscott

cgscott Regular member

Some channels that are found after a second scan appear with this icon to let you know the new channels that were found. After a couple of resets of the box this will dissapear.

Also the ppv channels may be named different so its worth flicking through them all and renaming them appropriately.

Cheers

Chris

9. nicholls1

nicholls1 Member

Thanks Chris, And thanks Mark for the original help. Much appreciated guys

10. cgscott

cgscott Regular member

Got to hand it to you markarman you have learnt a lot since you posted the comment above back in april.

For any peeps who dont know much about the box or boxes revert back to page 30 of this thread and read up. Markarman was in the same situation whilst other members had the boxes fixed with my first image.

So it just goes to show that a lot of learning can be learnt from this forum.

Thank the admin of afterdawn and all the valuable members.

And markarman keep learning mate. Your doing well.

If you have any problems with the box or any other boxes just ask and i will be glad to help you out.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  11. markarman

markarman Regular member

hi chris,

thanks for that praise indeed especially coming from the master.

i would love to learn how to make the images, either from scratch or changing existing images.

any suggestions?

Mark ..

12. cgscott

cgscott Regular member

Yes i do have suggestions. Start by using a linux op system then you can change the entities of the image as you please. an image is not easy to make although it can be easy to edit.

My suggestion is to stick with the images made avaliable as these are the best around.

13. markarman

markarman Regular member

thanks chris,

i'll stick with the images you make so.........

regards

Mark ..

14. miarach

miarach Member

Hi guys, complete newbie here and after 3 weeks of reading thru this forum to try and get some idea what to do, I finally got my hands on a null modem cable. I successfully downloaded chris's null modem link from megaupload but the other one (flash wizard) is saying it has been removed as it violates code or something. So wondering if me venturing into techie land was ever meant to be!!!
    Any help would be appreciated..... alternatively I was given the codes so if anyone could tell me what to even do with them either???
    Also when I do download the image if I can get my hands on it, do I then just connect the dream box and pc using the cable and then what... will it detect it and ask me what to do, or do I have to go in and start opening up stuff... like I say I am completely ignorant of these things and while the forum says things like ftp, I don't even know what that means.... so guys go wasy on me I have read through the forum but some of the things I just don't understand. Thanks in advance.

15. nicholls1

nicholls1 Member

Ok, just in time, i have found how to get the channels that say 'service could not be found'
    Originally, i didnt perform a brute force scan, i just scanned my area. today, i went through ALL the providers until it found the channel and the service. So scanning just your local provider DOES NOT guarantee that you will get all the channels!!

Hope this helps anyone who has had this problem or gets this problem in future

16. miarach

miarach Member

Sorry guys, slap on the hand for me. I didn't see the latest posting from chris with the new link to flash image. Thought i was on the pigs back but when I connected the null modem cable to my pc and dream box, nothing happened, I have searched 'my computer' and can't see any evidence of it recognising anything external? Am I looking in the wrong place or is my cable not working? Also should it be connected to the TV with all this going on?
    Also I downloaded chris's 2 images now, do i need both or just one? I also have an ether net cable, but don't know what to do with that one, not sure about messing around with IP addresses.

17. markarman

markarman Regular member

pm me your msn and we can go through it together now,

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  18. miarach

miarach Member

thanks for prompt reply, what do you mean by start dreamup software, how do i do that or where would i find it.... like i say have not got a clue, someone did this for me the last time it was scrambled..

19. miarach

miarach Member

have pm'd u markarman.... how do i know if i get a pm ?

20. markarman

markarman Regular member

i have pm'd you back.

you should get an email