1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive Letter Access and InCD 4

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jenap, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Jenap

Jenap Member

I have recently purchased the new Nero package and everything installed except for InCD 4. I got the error message: "Veritas - Drive Letter Access must be uninstalled." Veritas RecordNow came preinstalled on my computer but I have uninstalled it and it is no longer listed in the program list on the control panel. If I wanted to, how do I uninstall the Drive Letter Access of a program that is no longer on my computer?

The only mention I found of this problem on your forum was advice given to someone not to download InCD 4 because it interferes with burning. I don't know what problems they were refering to but it makes me wonder if I should install this program at all. I have been using the Nero trial version without the drag and drop up until now, so it is just a convenience that I don't need if it will complicate other aspects of burning.

Could you please advise me? Thanks.

2. EJN

EJN Member

I am having the same problem after installing Sonic MyDVD Ver 6.0. I have used VJ16 Power Tools to completely scrub my registry and remove any references to Veritas, etc. Apparently, it deeply embedded in My DVD (which I can use by burning what I want to my hard drive and then using Nero to burn to DVD).

I'm looking for help with this one too :)

Thanks,

Ed

3. EJN

EJN Member

Solved the problem but after long hours, yet I've got new problems. I finally reinstalled Sonic's Drive Letter Access (DLA) software so that it was recognized by "Add Remove" and I uninstalled it. Then able to reinstall InCD, BUT it then removed ZoneAlarm Pro, Norton Antivirus and made it so I could not enable autoscan (no matter what I did), and removed many other programs from startup. I've written Nero, but I had this problem with an earlier computer and they replied they'd never seen this before. Hope somebody has some ideas.

Ed

4. steveb11

steveb11 Member

Using DLA with Windows XP

Windows XP includes a program that provides some, but not all, of the recording and disc preparation features available in DLA. Only one program can be enabled at a time for each user. You must disable the software provided with Windows XP before DLA can be used. This is done for the current user when DLA is installed on the computer. Other users will be given the opportunity to enable DLA after they have logged on.

To switch between DLA and the default recording program:

In My Computer, right-click your recorder drive, then click Properties.
    The Properties dialog box appears.

Select the DLA tab on the Properties dialog box.
    If a check mark appears beside the Drag-and-drop recording option, DLA will be used for your drag-and-drop recording. If the box is empty, the default program will be used.

Add or remove the check mark beside this option to switch between programs.
    Switching Users During DLA Operations
    User switching in Windows XP is allowed even if DLA is in the middle of copying files or formatting a disc. However, if the new user tries to shut down the computer before DLA finishes an operation started by a previous user, a dialog box will appear asking the new user to wait until DLA has finished.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Caution Turning off the computer while DLA is copying files or formatting a disc may result in lost data or an unusable disc.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi jenap,

Are you still having problems ?

We have a Nero expert here at aD. If you need help we can call him -

Pete

6. EJN

EJN Member

Thanks so much STeve11. Very helpful.

ScubaPete, I'd like the Nero expert to tell me why on two machines when I updated InCD 4, I loss ZoneAlarm Pro AND Norton Antivirus Auto-Protect could not be activated. This happened both with an update and I tried to reinstall from my CD the original InCD version. I've written Ahead about the problem, but I wrote them when originally happened on a Dell but there only response was "we've never heard of that before." It happened again on my newly built 3.2 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 2 (non-RAID) SATA 200. Curious :)
    Any insights would be most appreciated.

And, thanks again for the helpful responses.

Ed

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ed,

Run Nero again and print out any error logs if it applies so he'll have something to check -

I'll ask him over - Be nice !

'p'

8. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hmm, this is strange. And you say this has happened to you before?

I have ZoneAlarm and Dr.WEB on our systems here in the US. Our IT Admin would KILL us if we even thought of removing the two programs. We also use Add-Ware on all our systems.

Can you run the Nero InfoTool so I can see what you have on your system?

Have you tried uninstalling both programs, and then installing first only ZoneAlarm and see if that plays nice with InCD 4 on your system?

And then if that works, then add the Norton Ati-Virus program.

In the mean time, I'll check with an Engineer in Germany and see if he can shed any light on why they might conflict.

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

9. Jenap

Jenap Member

Hi,

I haven't been able to check back for a while, sorry. I'm not sure I understood the whole ticked box thing so, let me double check. I don't like to do anything without knowing why. For all I know, other things could stop working because I don't know enough to recheck the box in specific circumstances.

If I uncheck the DLA box then I should be able to install InCD4, right? And then when I want to use or update the program I have to make sure the box is unchecked. If I have two burner drives, do I have to always have it unchecked in both even if I am only using one?

How do I know if Nero is my default recorder? Where is this information on my computer? (I'm sorry, I am sure that is very, very basic information.)

I guess my main problem is that I am not sure what Drive Letter Access is. Is it a Veritas product that is seperate from Record Now and usually installed on computers? Is it used in conjunction with other programs? Why is the box normally checked? What "drag and drop" stuff is it used for (only CDs or are there other applications for it)?

The information that I got from clicking the "learn more" was not enough to make me clear on this and what pages I can find by googling seem to be written for those who already know the basics. I would appreciate any light you can shed.

Jen

10. EJN

EJN Member

Hi Craig,

Would love to get your input. I haven't tried uninstalling ZAP and Norton just because of hassle factors. I consider myself a bit of computer nerd (and proud of it - CompTia A+ :) so I tend to be methodical about problems. I love my Nero (and promote it to all that listen) and miss InCD. Not sure how to attach the log file within this forum, but I can be reached at nottingham@bellsouth.net or if you let me know I'll attach the log file (which I did send with my tech support request).

This is a great forum. Thanks so much.

Ed

11. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Ed,

I hope to have more for you on Monday. I will be working over the weekend on this and a few other issues reported on this forum.

I have a system that I setup today with Norton and ZoneAlarm, and hope to have a more clear idea of what is going on via my testing over the weekend.

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

12. EJN

EJN Member

Craig,

You're the best! :) And, I'm not blowing smoke about my loyalty to Ahead. Once upon a time I used that "other" program (company name starts with a "R") and it never worked. Just yesterday somebody with that R program installed on a company computer could not copy files to the CD-R. Get Nero was my recommendation :)

Thanks again, and really appreciate your help and this forum.

Ed

13. ccampbell

ccampbell Regular member

Hi Ed,

Sorry for the delay, but I had to do some thorough testing to make sure I did not miss anything. I started with a clean system and installed all Nero products except for InCD 4.

I then installed Norton AntiVirus, the latest directly off their website, and installed ZoneAlarm Pro, also the latest from the website.

Once I made sure they were fully installed, and functioning properly, I then install our latest InCD 4.3.0.5 from off our website. And for the past 3 days all programs have been working together without any conflicts.

Now you state, "Then able to reinstall InCD, BUT it then removed ZoneAlarm Pro, Norton Antivirus and made it so I could not enable autoscan (no matter what I did), and removed many other programs from startup."

I did not find InCD to uninstall any programs, and especially not ZoneAlarm or Norton AntiVirus. It was a 'little' slower in loading items in the taskbar, but not significantly. Did it actually uninstall the products?

You also mention that AutoScan no longer works. This would lead me to beleive that you 'reinstalled' Norton after it was uninstalled by INCD. But my tests shows not only does it not uninstall Norton or ZoneAlarm, but AutoScan is working without conflicts on my systems.

Does Manual scan even work for you?

I'll do more testing, but so far I'm not seeing any conflicts of any nature with the three programs.

Are you working under Windows XP?

Regards,

Craig
    Ahead Software
    USA

14. EJN

EJN Member

Thanks so much Craig,

I used XP Professional's system restore to return to a previous functional period, and did not reinstall (nor uninstall) NAV nor ZAP. NAV would run manual scans, but would not, no matter what I did, allow me to "activate" the "Auto-Protect" feature. I just got a helpful email from Nero with two files to "auto clean" for remnants of other burning software. I will try that (after setting another restore point) and keep my fingers crossed.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and perseverance with this issue.

Thanks,

Ed

15. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I'm sorry guys, I'm missing it - where EXACTLY did the problem come in -

What part of NAV or ZAP caused the conflict ?

Could it occur with the ZA freeware ?

16. EJN

EJN Member

Hi ScubaPete,

ZoneAlarm Pro (current edition), NAV 2004 (current virus definintions), Win XP Pro, 3.2 GHz P4, dual 200 SATA (non RAID), 1 GB RAM, etc. When updated to last version InCD (and even when I used my CD with earlier version of InCD 4.0), ZAP and NAV removed from startup and could not enable Auto-Protect in NAV. Nero sent a helpful email a few days ago with Driver-Clean Tool and RegistryChecker, but Clean Tool did NOT find any conflicting drivers on the system. I later installed Sonic's MyDVD 6.0 and of course the DLA conflicted, but even after I removed MyDVD and DLA, same problem.

Craig, I really appreciate your detective work. Yesterday I started to remove Sonic MyDVD (although I've finally got it working so I can burn video clips for work (psychologist turned leadership consultant/trainer :), but have about decided that currently other than no InCD packet writing, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." I don't like using XP's burning of files to my CD R/RW or DVD R/RW (SLOW as molassas) but it works. Can't take advantage of my Yamaha Mt Rainier to the fullest extent, but again, heck, things are working more or less. I'm still interested if anybody else has experienced the InCD ZAP/NAV situation, and wish InCD and DLA could live together .. maybe someday.

Have I made it more confusing by now?

Thanks again to everybody.

Ed

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey there Ed,

I'm glad you're up and running (more or less (Lol), but that doesn't mean it's time for you to up and Ski-dattle - this is a give and take kind of a deal - we had fun helping you, now, the next time, you get to have some fun yourself :)

It's people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and you've seen that we had fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and, a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you'll have a chance to "Welcome" them into our little Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're NOT having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler, under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be lQQking for you -

Sea ya soon,

18. EJN

EJN Member

Would love to :) While a psychologist by training turned leadership trainer last July, I'm also a self-described computer nerd (CompTia A+ Certified) who loves all things computer ... especially finding solutions to problems (per beginning of this thread for Jen and uninstalling Sonic's DLA). I love these forums. Best source of info around ... no smoke and mirrors ... no "we can't help with that ...", etc.

Still hope to hear from Craig et al. to see if others have experience dthe InCD problem. I LOVE my InCD and hope using the "old" way, XP burning.

Thanks again.

Ed

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

(Lol) There's no way I'd use XP for burning either -

Let me know what format you're burning and I'll try to find you something else to burn with, OK ?

As for me, the only thing that's close to Certified is me as I'm 100% certifiable : P)

Pete

20. EJN

EJN Member

Thanks, of course the ONLY programs for burning my DVDs, CDs, etc. is my Nero 6.6.0.1 :). Since installing the Sonic's MyDVD which installed our friend Roxio's stuff (DLA, etc.) I've been stuck with the XP ersatz thing. If there is anything out there that can co-exist with Sonic's DLA (which btw would not burn directly to the DVD and instead I use Nero ultimately to burn to the DVDs) and would work a fraction as well as InCD, I'd be a happy camper. I use my TSST (Samsung) TS-H542A for my DVD and my Yamaha CRW-F1E for my CD-R/RWs. Maybe InCD 5 or 6 or 7 can defeat the "evil doers" that pretend to be equipped for packet writing :)

Thanks again.

Ed