1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drive not ready

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by 2pistolz, Jan 22, 2007.

1. 2pistolz

2pistolz Member

when i try to play a dvd it says drive not ready, please help

2. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Reboot the PC and try it again.

3. 2pistolz

2pistolz Member

i have tried that already, i've had this problem for a while, it actually happened once b4 and it fix on its own, and now its happening again

4. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Is the DVD a copy or an original?

Is it happening with all disks or just this one?

Have you tried to uninstall the the IDE channel the drive is connected to, then let it be reinstalled on reboot?

When was the last time you updated the drives firmware?

5. 2pistolz

2pistolz Member

the dvd is a original, it hapens to all dvds, wats the ide channeland how do i uninstall it, and how do i update the drives firmware

6. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

If it's happening to all DVD then something may be keeping the drive busy/in use or the drive could be bad.

But...

Your drives are connected to an IDE controller on the motherboard, you should have two channels (primary and secondary channels). The primary and secondary channels can be uninstalled along with what ever is connected to them, find the channel the drive is connected to and uninstall it.

goto:-->start--control panel--->system

The next thing to do is to click the “Hardware” tab at the top of the screen. From here you need to hit the “Device Manager” button.
    [​IMG]

Under device manager you need to find your drive, normally found under “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers”.
    [​IMG]

Determine if your drive is connected to the primary or secondary channel, usually the hard drive is connected to the primary with optical drives connected to the secondary. So if it's the secondary channel, right click on it and choose uninstall, reboot, and everything should be reinstalled upon rebooting. When this is done, recheck the drive.

Here's a handly utility that will check and display want firmware version is currently installed.
    http://flashman.rpc1.org/Firmware/DVD-CD_firmware_detect.exe

Once you know what you have, click on this link and enter the model# of your drive to search for an update if one is available.
    http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_search.php

If an update is available, just click on the new version to download the file, then run it to apply the update

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  7. 2pistolz

2pistolz Member

the thing about the ide didn't work, when i try the firmware thing, it tells me no matched drive detected, and that the utility is only for sony dvd rw DRU-720A drive but i do have a dru-720a drive