1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive problems

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by tomdreiss, Feb 16, 2007.

1. tomdreiss

tomdreiss Member

I've been backing up my DVDs using DVD Decryptor/Imgburn and DVD Shrink. Recently I've been burning nothing but coasters with my Lite-On SOHW-1633S. The burn would start out OK with both the buffer indicators in Decryptor/Imgburn filling up and then when the burn hits about 25% the buffers start jumping and eventually empty causing the burn failure. Would this be an indicator of drive failure?

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It might be a good indication, but I would try a different brand of media, before I chucked the burner out the window.

3. tomdreiss

tomdreiss Member

I've ruled out the media...I've been rurning the same TY discs for about a year now and only started to burn coasters the last few weeks. I'm going to add another 512MB stick to the PC and see if that helps first...I have 512 in there already so it certainly can't hurt. Maybe my kids downloaded something that's using too many resources.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Have you checked in Device Manager to make sure the burner did not go into PIO mode? If so, uinstall that secondary Ide Channel by right clicking on it, and clicking on Uninstall.

Reboot your computer, and check the settings again. If it is Ultra DMA Mode 2 or 4, try burning again. If it is still PIO mode, dump the burner.

5. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

you might consider crossflash it to a 1653 and trying the various firmware options you have there.