1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive Space

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by BLADE27, Mar 10, 2005.

1. BLADE27

BLADE27 Guest

Hi Guys

I Have A Very Puzzeling Q For You : When I Do An Installation Of Windows On A Computer, I Seem To Loose Some Of The Space. I Did A Win XP Install On A Machine Today On A 60Gb HDD And I Lost Almost 5Gb Worth Of Disk Space. Now This Is When I Go To Disk Management. Windows Only Recognises 55.2Gb! Now My Q Is : What Happens To That 4.8Gb! I Tried Doing A Search On The Web On The Subject, But Didn't Know Exactly What I Was Looking For. Any Coments On The Subject Will Be Greatly Appretiated!

Thanx

BLADE;->

2. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Thats a secret only Bill knows..... !

Go in to My Computer or Windows Explorer.

Click on Tools

View

Then set to show hidden files and untick the protect os system files.

Then have a look to see if you can see where your files are - Hibernation.Sys And Page File.SYS are the two biggest ones.

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Blade27 you did not loose anything.

60,011,610,112 bytes (a 60GB hard disk) is in base 2 so in base 10 its 55.8Gb. That is normal!!!!!!!!!

That is what happens when 1024 is converted to 1000, you appear to lose 24, but you don't.

4. BLADE27

BLADE27 Guest

Thanx For The Input Guys, But That Still Doesn't Explain To Me Why Windows Doen't Allowcate The Other 5Gb. If Reformat The Drive, There Are 2 Partitions. 1 Is The Windows Partition And The Other Is Unalocated.
    Please Explain. I Am In The Computer Industry, And This Has Been Bugging Since I Started! Is The Unalocated Part The Boot Partition Or What Is It's Purpose?

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I still don't understand your question. You have a 60Gb right? How many bytes does window report it as? That is how large the hard disk really is!!

The 55.xGb number is not real, ignore it. Only look at the bytes number or the listed number.

6. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

There are a lot of reasons - Products like Norton have there secondary bin and you need to purge it. Especially if you do a lot of deleting.

Shadow Copies.

System Recovery etc and hidden registry backup files

As per Prisoners comment 1024 - 1000

I have in the past suffered this problem and it was hidden system files that caused it.

Not sure if I throw any light on it, just to say it is fairly normal.