1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

drivers for Asus V9520 Video suite

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sheryl, Mar 3, 2004.

1. sheryl

sheryl Member

I just reformated my computer and needed to reload the drivers for my video card. I have an Asus V9520 Video suite card but I wasn't sure what to install.
    The first option says I can install the NVIDIA WHQL driver but says some features of Asus aren't supported so I installed the next option which is the Asus Enhanced driver V44.03. It said I would get the best 3D performance with this driver.
    I also installed the GART driver. Are these the drivers I should have installed?
    I have an Asus motherboard A7N8X-X.

The reason I'm questioning what I installed is I'm finding when my monitor is idle for a period of time and my screen saver comes on, the screen will go to black before showing my desktop when I go to use the computer again. I didn't have this problem before I reformated.
    My refresh rate is set to 60HZ since that's what showed up after installing the drivers. I don't understand what the refresh rate means so I don't know if I should have changed it.
    Sheryl

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi sheryl, I think you have the right driver installed. What you might want to check is the power managment settings. Go to the control panel and click on Power option or it might say Power Managment. There are 3 settings you can adjust. Monitor, Hard drives and System standby. I have all of mine set to NEVER. These act similar to the screen saver but put those 3 items into standby mode. All I ever want to come on is the screen saver and I disable that when burning dvd's. See if they have times in those areas.
    Jerry

3. sheryl

sheryl Member

Thanks for the quick response. I noticed my monitor was set to turn off after 20 mins even though I could have sworn I changed it to never, but now it's set to never.
    I think the problem is better but there still seems like a slight black screen hesitation before my desktop shows up again.
    Sheryl

4. alleng1

alleng1 Guest

Sheryl,

You can go back into Power Management and set all 3 settings to never. Then at the top click on save as, type in Never Off, click OK, then click on apply at the lower right bottom.

This way you still have the original settings for the power scheme that was originally there and you have just created a new power scheme to use. I do this all the time at work when I reload an OS at work and need to leave it run for several hours to burn in.

alleng1

5. bigfoot18

bigfoot18 Member

Most monitors have a slight delay when they change resolutions or refresh rates, or both. Check the screen saver's settings. If you put them to exactly the same as Windows' resolution/refresh rate settings, the problem should disappear.

6. Matu

Matu Member

Hi Sheryl -and the rest-,
    I just happen to own the same card as you and I can't get any image in my TV via the OUT ports of the VIVO adapter. By any chance did you get to see in your TV? If yes, how?
    The only place where I have a TV option (after clicking a zillion times in different buttons of Desktop properties) I find that my TV option remains gray (unselectable). Do you know any turnaround to this issue? Thanks a lot
    PS: Sorry to bug you here, but ASUS tech-sucks won't answer my inquiries!

7. sheryl

sheryl Member

Hi Matu. I wish I could help you but I never tried hooking my TV set up to my computer. The only thing I've done is hooked it to a VCR.

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Sheryl you might (and prolly will) find that using the nVidia reference drivers will yield a lot better performance (as well as a plethora of options) as oppposed to the ASUS versions which are over a generation old (dont get me wrong the 44.03s were an awesome set).

:)

9. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

especially considering that the early NVIDIA drives that the ASUS drivers were based on were not so much buggy as they were not very optimised to exploit the speed of the card.

the NVIDIA drivers are not up to 53.xx or similar - I have a leadtech card and only install the extra software from leadtech for the Vivo features - for the core drivers I have installed:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Version: 56.72 (Forceware)
    Release Date: April 1, 2004
    WHQL Certified

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.72

10. Eparadiso

Eparadiso Member

Hi. Speaking of Asus V9520, I'm having problems with my monitor. After I bought the video card, my NEC Multisync 95 monitor was working ok. Then I connected the computer to the TV and after I changed the monitor's connection on the video card from LCD2 to LCD1, the monitor was not working well. The image was very distorted and the colours and refresh rate were not working well either. There was no way to fix this with the monitor's controls. The borders on the screen were not square, and the situation was worse with higher resolutions (I was using 1024 x 768 on a 19" monitor). I had to return the monitor; I got a NEC Multisync 97f in exchange but it wasn't working well either. Again I had problems with the borders and high resolutions. The image was a little bit distorted. I figured the problem was NEC, so yes, once again I exchanged the monitor for a Cicero FL-190B, and the situation got better, but still the borders are not square. The weird thing is that while I was waiting to return my NEC monitor, I was using an older Compaq V55 14" or 15" monitor (I don't remember the size) and everything was working ok. Could the problem be related to the Asus V9520 video card? I would appreciate any help I can get because this problem is a mystery to me. Thank you,

Eugenio

11. Praetor

Try specifiyig the model (or one close to) for your Monitor in the video card advanced settings and then changing the refresh/color settings to go with it. Worse case, uninstall/reinstall the drivers and it should get rid of this "memory" effect :)

12. Eparadiso

Eparadiso Member

I tried specifying the monitor model before but nothing changed. I have the Asus enhanced driver installed. Should I try Nvidia's driver instead? Thank you for your help :)

13. Praetor

What version is the ASUS driver? :) (I always use the reference drivers ... ok not "always" but ever since i had my TNT2)

14. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Eparadiso
    Which of the 4 Asus V9520 cards do you have. The HT, VS, TD or Magic. I have the HT and the Magic video cards. I run NEC monitors on both cards - the HT has a NEC Multisync E1100 and the Magis has a Multisync XV17+ .
    From your desciption of the problem I suspect a configuration problem or a card problem
    I hope this helps

15. dp7641

dp7641 Member

I have 2DTV the capture via VCR is utter total c*** can anyone please suggest a capture methode I can use?
    I have avi_io but I cant get it worI am trying to get VHS into VCD I would like to get some good AVI to run thru TMPG