1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DRIVEs -Incompatible???etc,,Etc ???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by zincMINE, Jan 25, 2008.

1. zincMINE

zincMINE Member

Hello Thanks for this very Cool forum . Glad to see some Brains @t work..

being sort of a newbie to the DVd-r thang for awhile.
    I got a hardware /software Dilemnae .

My system is a Socket 370 Mobo witha Intel coppermine 1.26 processor/ 728 Mb Ram < pc133> Via Chipset.(machspeed 694TAS is the MOBO--LAUGHS!!![img] running Win XP pro /from 98se install<upgraded>.

Hdrive is a Maxtor 160 <reads as 130(old Mobo bios problem). Configured as Primary IDE channel Master <alone>

Dvd-+rw is a Benq Ls dr series believe it isa ATA 66 or ATA 100 (configured as master on SEcond ide channel)

DVD-rom is a Ultima(artec) DHI-G40 ATA 33 (configuredas slave on Second ide channel)

My past setup had my Benq dvd-+r as the Slave to my HDRive so Ifigured the ata series were compatible.

I had my Ultima as a master on the second IDE channel .

I used Nero as my basic Dvd tool and everything seemed to work fine, playing movies (until afew weeks ago ) Went thru a bunch of Trial DVD-r programs like Slysoft ,, dvdexpress ,, IMtoo ,, Deepburner.

Iread/tried to reset my DMA,s as listed on NEWBIE info posted by ALKOHOL.

The DMA,s seem to read OK now in Device MGr.

But I still can,t get my DVD-rom to work.!!!!!

Could this be a matter of their IDE ATA differences or just that XP doen,t like Main Hardware moved Around <drives reshuffled to Primary vs Secondary .

Or lastly is it all these friggin DVD programs left stuff in registry???

Thank you ,

zinc MINE

2. attar

attar Senior member

What symptoms, can't read anything?

Have you tried setting them for (cs) cable select?

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Did you set the jumper pins in the back of the drives to match the configuration of the ribbon?

I use the reader drive as secondary master,and burning drive as secondary slave. Some peeps prefer the opposite. My Primary slave is another larger HD to keep my dvd movie files on.

4. Suba

Suba Regular member

It could be ATA66 and ATA33. From what I know communication reset to slowest speed on same cable.
    Are you using 80 wire ribbon cable?
    I would delete drive, which does not work, in manager and have Windows reinstall it on next restart(new hardware found).